Thread: Being away from family/loved ones for the holidays

Being away from family/loved ones for the holidays

Many of us are away from loved ones this holiday season, some of us for the first time in years. I'll get to go "home" for Christmas but for less than 24 hours. I've decided to make the best of it. I'm going to put up a small Christmas Tree for the first time in almost 10 years. I want to decorate my tiny apartment, and make the best of my time alone. Any suggestions from others?

Re: Being away from family/loved ones for the holidays

don't ask me, this will just be my third year of Christmas tree decorating that doesn't involve beer cans.

If you were a single college male I could have probably helped you out. For any decorating tips these days I would have to defer to my wife. Now I don't have an opinion, other than what ever she says is whatever we do. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wow, that has to hurt. What I would do in your place is find some Christmas plays or musicals to see. We always have The Nutcracker performed by the NC School of the Arts. Although I have never done it, working in a soup kitchen is supposed to really be a lifting experience during the holidays. There are always some employees who are "displaced" during the holidays due to divorce etc. Maybe you can gather up one or two and have a meal. Best wishes!

You are a very smart man. And so young!

I love to attend small children Christmas programs,(Church or School). This gets me in the mood during the most down times of my life. See the lights. Get a real tree in a small pot and decorate with minature things, ear rings could work. Make Fudge and share with someone. I cook something special. People always find me on Holidays. Probably becuase I cook. The thing I recommend most is to start a tradition just your own. Mine is I find a poor family with kids somewhere and leave something for the kids at their door on Christmas Eve Night. I do it totally anonymously to the reciever. The tradition of it over the years makes it more precious every year. It makes me feel good about myself and I know from experience it makes the kids feel good too, and I love the mystery of it. Happy Holidays.

Judy~
    That is so precious!
    I have to work Christmas Day from 7p to 7a. I guess it'll be alright. I don't like it, but hey~when I chose this profession, I knew there would be days I'd have to work when I didn't want to.
    I like the one idea of decorating a small tree....
    It's better than when I was alone one Christmas Day. I did 25 crosswords, just to see if I could, and walked around town. But I was happy with myself, and the joy around me....
    God bless ya darlin' and good luck! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have been working and many patients are so appreciative. Lots of candy, nuts, snacks, goodies around, Christmas music in the med room, Staff moods kinder and more cheerful. Everyone is making our work place a more enjoyable place to work. Wish we had Christmas all year. Just a thought.

Hey Judy, it would be nice if we could carry the xmas cheer thru the entire year. I think all would be much happier in their jobs no matter what they were. But there always a few people everywhere that have a hard enough time gettting into th xmas spirit for 2 weeks a year. These are the Bah Humbuggers, but if we all try and show a more forgiving attitude towards them, well,, just maybe ,, some of it will rub off on them. Here's hoping. Have a great hollday and be safe.

Jerry Harsh