Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbs vs Medicine or are they the same?

Herbs vs Medicine or are they the same?

I have been taking herbs for about two years now. I have stopped 5 Rx's and take herbs regularly. I credit them for getting me back to work. Anyone care to talk about Herb??? LOL.

Re: Herbs vs Medicine or are they the same?

Herb as in you met a guy named Herb, or you are smoking the Herb, or you are taking Herbal supplements instead fo medication for your probs, ie. St. Johns wart or something like that?

I am taking a multiple herb complex, some of which include guarana, bladderwrack, echinacea, white willow, and ephedra, and gingko leaf. I believe it has helped me tremendously. The pharmacists at work want pts to stop the herbs every time a pt has been admitted to taking them. I am just interested in getting some outside information on pros and cons of herbs versus meds. Thanks for the reply.

I take quite a few herbal supplements. I don't know that they help too much, other than maybe having a placebo affect, but they sure haven't hurt. I also take 12.5 of paxil for anxiety and 160mg of Diovan for my blood pressure. I think that the Diovan has made me a whole new person. Before, my BP was always 140/100 or higher, and now after bumping up to 160mg my bp is never above normal. Today at the doctors office it was 108/76 and that alone has made me feel much better. 50% less headaches, and just less stressful. I take an Herbal supplement for energy and an Herbal supplement for stress.

My mom says that once I get out of nursing school my anxiety will get much better and that I'm also becoming a hypochondriac because I'm in nursing school.

Mom's just really know how to say the right things dont they LOL

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]That sure brings back memories of nursing school, I remember the whole class talking about how all; we were learning about the human body and signs and symptoms of disease was making us more aware and fearfull of any little change we saw in ourselves. LOL, On the other hand I know a nurse who did diagnose herself with graves disease have the Dr run the test and turn out she was right. She was relieved to find out she was not just loosing her mind.
    I myself really believe in my herbs. Digoxin and asprin are herbs. If pharmacuticals get control of herbs the price will go up tremendously and they all will become medicine.
    That's just a thought I have been pondering. Anyone else care to share a thought. Welcome...

I never really thought about that Judy, but you are right, dig does come from the foxglove plant I believe.

This topic is great! Aaron, I thought I had any and every illness my patients had when I went through school. That just shows that you are very caring and really get into your patient's case, in my humble opinion. Your stress level will drop or shift after school. I don't know of any nursing that isn't stressful. I have tried everything I know for stress relief. The best thing yet.....vacation! It's just a stressful job no matter how you cut it! I believe in herbs (not the smoking kind). I take a boat load every day. I have gotten off one of my meds lately and that can't be anything but wonderful. There is much to be said about folk medicine. Western medicine is pharmacutically and legally driven not to mention $$$$$.
    There was a time when skim milk drinkers were looked at as freaks. (they are today-I catch all kinds of grief at work) Now health food and organic foods are very common. The FDA is grading it now where as before they just looked at it with bewilderment. This is a good trend and I hope it continues.

I was thinking about the stress of school and the continued stress of working. I like to tell pts trying to quit smoking that the two hardest things I have ever done for myself in my life are.... Nursing School and quitting smoking, They are also the two best things I have done for myself. Hang in there Shortbus and all other achievers.

Ahhh.... herbs vs medicine...the great debate.
    I believe in a lot of the healing and preventative properties of herbs, and my husband and I do take supplements. It's a more natural way of healing.
    As for medicine, I believe in that too (maybe just because I'm a nurse? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) I work in LTC and see so many ill patients who need good, real medicine, but yet, so many who must have Maalox or Colace or Mylanta every night...this type of ill could be cured with a herb, therefore relieving the body of potentially becoming dependant on a med that is not of a significant value.
    JMHO......
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast