Thread: New to all of this...

New to all of this...

I am new to this site and new to having restrictions on my license. My sober date is Feb 08. I will be getting my license reinstated by the TX BON at the end of this month. I have a no narcotics restiction for one year along with no nights, ot, floating and have to have a nurse immediately available for any questions for one year. Cannot do critical care. I called a local hospital recruiter today and was not encouraged to even apply for thier hospital system. I am living with a friend now and must leave by the end of Oct. I have already lived in a homeless shelter due to my mistakes and am scared to death of that happening again if I can't find a job. Any advice and support would be appreciated! I am also wondering where to find local support groups for nurses with these types of problems. I am in the Dallas Fort Worth area of TX. I am not having to do TPAPIN (sp?)

Thank you!:nurse-haha:

Smile Re: New to all of this...

Hi, I'm not familiar with TX, but the BON in your state should be able to direct you to nurse support groups. In terms of finding work with restrictions, you might want to look into MDS coordinator at a nursing home, treatment nurse, or even work in a detox doing intakes for admissions where you don't administer meds. Hope this helps. P.S. Congrats on your sobriety. It gets better.
    :rolleyes:

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Glad you found us!!

The previous advice is great - Restrictions and policies vary from state to state. But Skilled nursing facilities, Acute and long term Psych (Licensed techs pass most of the meds), Nurse case manager and UR positions are things to look into. - When you get involved in a nurse support group ask where other nurses in your situation are working. They can generally steer you towards places that are "friendly" to nurses in recovery.

Peace and Namaste

Hppygr8ful

Re: New to all of this...

Thanks for the input! I emailed the BON and they had me contact TPAPN, which did have info on a support group. Can you believe only one in the whole Dallas Fort Worth area? Sad! Maybe I'll start my own at some point. This is so difficult and support is majorly needed!!
    Thanks again!

Facebook User

One area that is getting bigger is working as a nurse for law firms that handle personal injury caes. I am currently reviewing medical records for an attorney and writing up summaries on each record. Just an idea-but Legal Nurse Consulting is a very safe--getting sober job.

First thing is your recovery and your escape from active addiction...

To find success is not easy and many fail... Congrats and stay strong...

Finding work is much different for nurses under contract and be warned that you will face rejection due to this, and the shame and hurt and frustration that it brings will be a ongoing challenge to overlook...

I suggest that you don't even bother applying for jobs that involve rotating shift, OT and narc administration... for the first year.. the employers won't want to accomodate these needs and you will only create more rejection that is not needed

If you are in a metropolitan area, try insurnace companies... for case management... not just health insurance, but others like allstate, travelers, prudential...etc..

other areas are dialysis, public health, blood bank, ...

Do NOT disclose your past until you meet with your immediate manager... HR will usually slam the door if they are told first....

I have other ideas.. but cannot think of them now...

more later