Good article: Community colleges help students to cut expenses - The Delaware County Daily Times : Serving Delaware County, PA(DelcoTimes.com)

Lilly Eggers had a quick answer when asked why she chose Delaware County Community College to earn the prerequisite courses she needs for a nursing program.

“It’s cheap,” the Secane resident said as she sat on a bench at the college’s Marple campus during an afternoon break from anatomy class.

DCCC is reporting a 25 percent increase in student enrollment in credit-seeking programs for the fall semester compared to this time last year, said Fran Cubberley, DCCC director of enrollment management.

“Probably, as everyone would imagine, we would certainly attribute this (enrollment increase) to the downsize in the economy,” said Cubberley.

Cubberley said it’s not unusual for community colleges to see more students during a recession, but called this increase “unprecedented.”

“It’s the severe nature of this economic downturn … I think what happened back in October has just jolted a lot of people into realizing that if they were going to plan efficiently for the future, they have to marshal their resources perhaps more carefully than they have been,” she said.

The hike in enrollment equates to an increase of about 1,700 students for a fall enrollment of more than 8,500 new students in credit-seeking programs. The college also offers non-credit programs that are not included in the estimate.

Cubberley said once the semester begins, the school could see more students enrolling since short-term career-training programs have several start dates.

“I suspect when it’s all said and done, we’ll be over 12,000,” she said.

Annual tuition at Delaware County Community College is about $3,000 for students living in sponsoring schools districts, double that for students from non-sponsoring districts and triple that for out-of-state students.

The Marple-based two-year college has several sites in Delaware and Chester counties where individuals can earn associate degrees.

Cubberley said enrollment in credit-transfer programs is on the rise at the school.

“Things like liberal arts, communications and social services have seen an increase. Early childhood short-term certification has really taken off,” she said.

Samantha Lupica of Broomall will study nutrition at West Chester University in the fall. She enrolled in a summer-session class at DCCC to fill a prerequisite.

“It’s close to my house and the tuition is cheap,” Lupica said.

Havertown resident Lauren Carnesi is taking courses at DCCC to complete the prerequisite classes for admittance to an ultrasound radiology program.

“I’m here for the transfer credits, really because the tuition was the cheapest out of the schools around here,” said Carnesi. “Living in a sponsoring school district helps because they help pay for it.”

Even though Philadelphia resident Martin Mahanfeldt doesn’t reap the benefits of living in a sponsoring school district, the tuition is still affordable, he said.

Carolyn Sadwick graduated from Penn State University’s main campus, but is taking DCCC classes to work toward a second degree in nursing.

“The tuition is good,” said Sadwick, a Sharon Hill resident. She added that she had a few recommendations for the school’s pre-nursing program.

“My aunt and cousin went here,” she said. “I know students can come here and be able to graduate on time, plus the tuition isn’t too much.”

Programs that earn certifications are also seeing a rise in enrollment, said Cubberley.

“In addition to people looking for a four-year degree, folks looking to really fast-track their career can get a preparation program under their belt. In a semester, they can get certified and be eligible for hire.”

Thirty individuals who lost their jobs enrolled for the spring semester through the college’s Tuition Assistance Program. They chose short-term certificate programs in growing fields such as computer-aided drafting, health unit coordinator, child development assistant, machine operations and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.

That program is now closed, but Cubberley said the school uses an advisory board to keep an eye on fields with expected job growth.

“We actually have folks who work in the community who are telling us what it is they need, and we’re very quickly responding to provide a qualified skilled work force,” she said.

While DCCC is enjoying a growing student body, the budget impasse in Harrisburg is cause for concern for the community college. State House Democrats have proposed pulling funding for state higher education from the budget and creating a separate fund for public colleges and grant program, but the plan identifies no revenue for the fund.

“I can’t imagine what would happen to the people who attend Delaware County Community College if we shut our doors because we don’t have the funding,” said Cubberley.

She said that community colleges are vital to providing a skilled work force.

“The realities are that we can’t afford our public higher education institutions to not be funded.”