Thread: Hip, Back Pain--What shoes are best?

Exclamation Hip, Back Pain--What shoes are best?

Hi all. I'm currently a student and I work 16 hour shifts at a nursing home on the weekends. I've recently been experiencing back and hip pain towards the end of my shifts and I was wondering if anyone has advice on the best shock absorbing shoes I can purchase. (I really don't care for the clogs). Thank you for your advice. Matthew.

Re: Hip, Back Pain--What shoes are best?

Round here, there's a place called "Fleet Feet" that will custom fit your shoes and shape/trim insoles on the spot.

"Fleet Feet Sports is a group of 67 stores specializing in footwear and apparel for North America’s runners, joggers, and walkers. Each store is a locally owned and operated franchise of Fleet Feet, Inc. The people of Fleet Feet are athletes who take the time to understand their customers’ footwear and apparel needs. While each store is centrally focused on running and walking, the unique sports and fitness needs of its local market are represented."
    http://www.fleetfeet.com/

16 hours is a long time to be on your feet. You'll do yourself a favor if you can find some comfortable shoes. Off the rack sneakers are not going to cut it if they are not a good fit for your feet.

You'll spend a little more at a specialty store, but chances are it will be worth it. If the pain persists no matter what, go see a podiatrist (foot doc).

Hope that helps,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Smile Re: Hip, Back Pain--What shoes are best?

Matthew,
    First of all...good for you for having a job! I work 12 hour night shifts in a busy ER and my feet would ache after a few shifts, so I know what you are talking about.
    Statistics show we need to change our shoes every 3 months. (wear and tear issue) That means what?....100.00 every three months?? That should put something fitted or special more into focus, 400.00 a year for sneakers. I have orthotics because the pain was so bad. (plantar fasc problem).
    Find a style that fits your feet 'cause Nike, Reebok and Adidas are all different. Take your time, go in the afternoon when your feet are swollen. Some nurses swear by clogs, some love berkinstocks, see what your feet like. Plenty of toe room. Good insole. Cross trainers or walking shoes are usually recommended for nurses.
    I now wear sneakers with my orthotics. Works best for me. And good luck with the job.

Thumbs up Re: Hip, Back Pain--What shoes are best?

I love my J. Rubio clogs, they have a funky spring in the heel that absorbs shock. I've worn them about 6 years and I love them but I do agree with some of the other posts - GET NEW PAIRS OFTEN, with any brand. I used to beg someone in Europe to mail me J. Rubio's, now you can get them online but I don't know if they make a men's version. The link is www.jrubio.us. Treat your feet right, you'll be on them for YEARS!

Good luck

Shoes that are best really just depend on the person. I love my Crocs, but i know there are some facilities that have banned them, and Crocs don't work for everyone.

I've heard a lot of people rave about Danskos, which Danskos are fine for me if i'm standing in one place for a long time, but if i'm doing a lot of walking, nope. My heel rolls, and i feel like i had wooden blocks strapped to my feet.

My favorite shoes as an aide were the Cobbie Cuddlers (available at Kmart). Less than 30 dollars for a pair, so soft and comfy, and came in different styles.

I never had any problems finding comfortable shoes when i was an aide (constantly running up and down the hall), but now that i work in a job where i do a lot of standing in one place, finding comfy shoes was a challenge (especially since i didn't want shoes with laces, i didn't want to touch them with my hands, yeck!)

What has worked for me is alternating between my Crocs and Danskos (depending on what i'm doing for the day), and wearing support hose. I had thigh and calf pain no matter what shoes and/or insoles i wore, but once i started wearing support thigh high compression hose, my entire legs never hurt.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

I agree with the comments above: change shoes often, visit a specialty store, and look for brands like Danskos. The most important aspect of finding the best shoe, however, is to first understand your foot and gait type. A speciality retailer can help you here.

Check out Finding the Perfect Nusing Shoe for some tips.