Thread: advice please regarding a new opportunity

advice please regarding a new opportunity

if anyone can help me out, or direct me in the right direction, i would appreciate it.

a friend of mine just got a contract with a city in southern california for a wellness program. all the details are just now being hammered out, but basically she is coaching and teaching 9 week classes to the community diet/nutrtion/stress management. her team of instructors/coaches are dietians and certified personal trainers. she invited me for a position to do the pre and post measurements: ht/wt, blood pressures and perhaps more.

i am not sure if this is in my scope of practices (especially the blood pressures). ie policies and procedures when the vital signs are out of range/dangerous..etc.

i am thinking as an RN i am only allowed to work for a medical director.

your thoughts are welcome...and if you need any clarity to the situation, i am here

thanks!
    paula

Re: advice please regarding a new opportunity

I would think as long as you are not giving a diagnosis you wouldn't be out of your scope. I would think that if someone was out of range on a vital, you would just inform them that they need to follow up with their MD. I know I do flu clinics during flu season, and I almost always work independantly, and if someone comes up to me that I don't feel comfortable injecting for whatever reason, I just tell them to see thier doctor for their flu shot.