Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPN vs RN?

LPN vs RN?

Hi I am 13yrs old and looking to become a male RN or LPN, but I can't decide which is the difference, I heard several differences, but since you all are here I was wondering if you could tell me.

-Chris

Re: LPN vs RN?

Depending on the workplace setting there can be little to no difference in what an RN does vs an LPN. An RN goes to school somewhat longer and can perform certain tasks which an LPN cannot. As you are deciding what to do, it would be advisable to contact one or two of the hospitals in your area. You can call Human Resources and tell them of your plans. Ask them if they have any scholarship programs. You can also ask if you can do some volunteering after school, weekends and/or the summer. That is the best way to get a feel for who does what. Hope this helps!

Thank you, But could you tell me some of the tasks that RNs Can Perform that LPNs can't? And is it true an RNs Assesments Skills are more better than LPNs?(But of course it depends on the nurse) My stepmother is a LPN and she says they are simlar in many ways. And I am applying into a Medical Explorers Program.

And one more thing on that subject is it true that There is some Tension between RNs and LPNs?

From your question, I can tell you have been doing your homework. In most cases, an RN must perform the initial assessment on a new patient. In home care this is required. The RN has had more education in nursing and therefore is better able to assess a patient's physical, psychological and spiritual status. You can think of it like being in the service. A sargeant cannot do what a general does because they must complete certain tasks (educational, physical, service). You seem to have a very good understanding so far.
    As far as conflict between LPN's and RN's, there are always problems with any coworkers in any field. Here is another area where the RN has more responsibility. The RN is in a position of leadership and greatly influences the atmosphere. They can be respectful or not; just like anyone else in a leadership role.

Thank you very much for your Continuing help and support, Especially toward myself a 13yr. I have been researching both positions and I still haven't decided, but you have given me more hints towards my career goal. And I think it would be normal for Nurses to have some tension as long if it's in the patients best intrest and it is appropriate.

My Stepmother an LPN for 32 years has given me valuable information and I just wanted a second opinion.

Anyways thank you for your continuing support and postive,useful help expect more questions in the comming days lol

-Chris

I'm a LPN student so if you have any questions pm me.

I am an LPN and a student RN (and a male to boot). And I can tell you that your assessment skills in an RN role will be more in-depth and detailed. As for other things RNs can do that LPNs can't, all the nifty chest tube, IV, blood draw, chemotherapy stuff (higher end care) is what you can do as an RN. LPNs tend to be limited to oral meds, injections, rectal meds (a personal favorite), and care in non-acute settings (often long term care - good opportunities for bonding with patients there). The other big difference is that as an RN you hold your own license, and are responsable for your conduct and skills, whereas an LPN works under the license and supervision (though not usually direct) of an RN. RNs have more opportunities for hospital work, travel nursing, corporate assignments, etc. -SO- at any rate, whatever you choose, we need more men in nursing, so join the team! Don't leave me out here alone drowning in estrogen! -just kidding ladies-

None have really answered your question. The correct answer young man is that you want to be an RN. It will take you more time, it will cost you more money, but in the end, when you have your degree, there will be no limit to what you can do, other than the ones you may place on yourself.

I decided at a young age, like yourself, that I wanted to be in the health care industry. In fact, I always wanted to be a physician. My father is a pharmacist and I just loved the way he helped people and I wanted to do the same. I became a Medical Explorer and I think its a great program. Glad the Boy Scouts are still alive and kicking.

I have been nursing form more than 20 years now (that's all I admit to). I can tell you in terms of quality of nursing care, I find education has little if anything to do with the care a nurse provides. Previous posts about limits to practice vary greatly from one state to another and from one facility to another. In fact, very few states limit the practice of an LPN versus that of an RN. Instead, they leave it up to the individual institutions. Here's one example. I worked at a major university medical center in Washington D.C. We have something called LPN IIs (twos). These LPNs were given some additional classroom and unit training and worked in all the various ICUs. They could do all the technical tasks of an RN - chest tubes, IV push drugs, drip titrations, etc., but only if they were in the ICU. If they were working on a regular Med/Surg unit, they were not allowed to give IV push drugs. So here you have some of those qwerky little rules that are established by facilities and often confused by nurses as the law.

There may be many reasons that you opt to become an LPN - time, money, grades, etc. But if you truly have the option to choose one versus the other, opt to take the extra time and reach for the stars.

Best of luck to you!

Anonymous

What??????????????????? Estrogen..... Do you know what the average age of an RN is????? Just Kidding..You made this old estrogenless nurse laugh..out loud.....

Keep on keeping on.. And remember us ladies with estrogen brought you into this world...LOL

I'd rather work with a man any day...HMMMMMMM That didn't come out too well...OH Well..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Hi Chris,

There are a number of differences between RNs and LPNs. LPNs school is not as long, they have less of a scope of practice, and they don't make as much salary. Those are the biggest differences I can think of.

We need all the nurses we can get!!

Hope you decide to go for it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast