Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LPN vs RN?

Smile Re: LPN vs RN?

I have been an RN for 18 years and as far as I can tell the only real advantage to becoming an LPN is that the program can be completed quickly. The LPN program can be completed in about a year, I know of no program which also grants a college degree, and few colleges will accept credits for completing the LPN program of nursing. The LPN program focus is upon hands-on nursing which prepares the the LPN to perform the physical aspects of nursing. LPN stands for "Limited Practical Nurse."
    The practice of the LPN is limited when compared to the practice of the RN (according to state practice acts). In truth many times the RN may work side by side with the LPN doing almost the same job but the RN makes at least 30% to 50% (or sometimes more) in their paycheck. Also the opportunities for advancement simply do not exist for the LPN unless they are working in a nursing home. Many hospitals are attempting to phase out LPNs by making them become an RN within a specified period. This means that if you become an LPN you may be taking the RN program down the road to hold your job. The advantage of being an LPN then taking the RN program is that of course you are already familiar with much of what you are required to learn. But why go to school twice unless you have too? Many LPNs have told me that they became LPNs because they needed to get through school fast, so for them it was worth it.
    To become an RN you must complete the requirements of either a diploma, associates, or bachlors degree. This means that in addition to nursing classes other classes such as math, science, writing, and chemistry may be required. The RN student attends classes on patient care, assessment, nursing process, medications, and anything that your particular program deems important. It takes about two to five years to complete these requirements, sometimes more if you are taking only one or two classes at a time. You will receive your degree and if you decide to earn another degree most of your credits should transfer (if you think you might do this talk to your counselor when you are signing up to be sure).
    There are numerous opportunities available to RN's in many different areas. Becoming an RN not only will pays better, but will also offer better opportunities for your future. You can work in any setting and do anything from bedside nursing to travel nursing, homecare, surgical nursing, or management to name a few areas. If you want to become an RN you will need to work hard in school and get good grades to prepare you for college. Hope this helps you make the choice that is right for you. GOOD LUCK!!

Re: LPN vs RN?

i went the lpn to rn route. i prefer rn because you have more job opportunities.
    in order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't mearly try to train him to be semi-human. the point is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly dog. :o

Hello,

I am an instructor at our local junior college in the LVN program. I started my nursing career as a LVN and then became an RN several years later. In my professional opinion, most of the nurses that are LVN/LPN's first are better prepared to do actual nursing skills because that is the main focus in LVN training. RN training does not involve as much skill training but focuses instead on theory and the "why" instead of the "how".

I highly recommend starting your nursing career as an LVN and then progressing to a RN.

Best of luck,
    Linda Beeson, RN
    Proud Member of the M.O.M. Team
    http://www.mommaworksathome.com
    ryanlinda00@aol.com
    979-648-2557

I was wondering of anybody knows the starting salary for lpn in nc?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12