Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impaired nurses

Re: Impaired nurses

Does anyone know if there is a website that names all the states with impaired nursing programs? Thanks and good luck to you all!!

this website is very useful to know about the jobs in nursing.you must give some additional about us.
    ===========
    jim
    Comprehensive resources for those looking for recovery from addiction. ADDICTION RECOVERY and TREATMENT PROGRAMS for Resources and Research on Drug and Alcohol Rehab and Treatment Centers.

Smile Intervened

Hi to eveyone,

I am new to this site. Last week, I was intervened with diverting narcotics from my facility. I knew it was comming and I know now, that it would happen. It was a matter of when. I didn't deny my actions, and am headed for Rehab. My story begin in ICU. It only took one time, that I had unknowinly brought home in my pocket, 1mg of Diludid. I suffer from degenerative disk disease in my L5-S1. This particular night, when I discovered I had pain medication, I took it. Well, to sum it up, that is all it took. I found a new way to control my pain after a long 12-hr shift. You see, I am also a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for nearly 2 years. What I did was replace one drug for another. I was estatic to see a site where I didn't feel alone. I am ready to face whatever I need to get clean and stay sober.

Grace

Welcome Grace,

I had a fusion from L3 - S1 for spondylolisthesis. Became addicted to my pain meds and ended up mainlining fentanyl and sufentanil.

Things can and will get better. You are not a bad person. Addiction is a brain disease. If and when you are ready for some extra reading material, contact me and I'll email you some excellent articles.
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have only been a nurse for two years, and sadly i have already gotten my license on probation. i recently had to voluntarily surrender my license. i am young and have made some mistakes. i am trying to stay positive and move forward with my life. i love nursing and hope to reapply for my license in a year. i am in recovery now, and im doing great!! my question is about what kind of jobs im allowed to do. now i am working in an eye clinic in the business office. i am interested in being a tech in this office but i dont know if it is allowed. what are the laws? can a nurse with no license still be a tech? what does that fall under?? i just dont know where to go to find these answers. PLEASE HELP. thank you
    sarah

Hi Sarah,

First, let me say congratulations on your recovery! Are you attending support groups? Do you have a monitoring contract with the board of nursing? Are you documenting anything and everything regarding your treatment and recovery (random drug screens, meeting attendance, employer quarterly evaluations, etc.)?

Most state boards of nursing have a web site and many publish the nurse practice act online. Many of your questions might be answered there. You can find a listing of state boards of nursing on these two sites:

National Council of State Boards of Nursing.
    https://www.ncsbn.org/515.htm

A complete listing of state boards of nursing from ALL Nursing Schools
    Complete List of State Nursing Boards (State Boards of Nursing)

Another consideration. Does your state have a nursing association? They may be able to help you with your questions or put you in contact with those who can.

If a job has a title (i.e., "tech"), their may be regulations established by your state that describes the requirements for that job. Contact the attorney general or professional licensing board in your state.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imn2nursing View Post
    Hello to all. I am new to this site and I'm so glad to find it. I haven't found a topic though that plagues alot of nurses;which is substance abuse. I became addicted to pain medication while working on an orthopedic floor in 1998 and began diverting pain medication from the hospital. Eventually, (thank God) I was intervened upon and suspended from work pending a psych eval. I went to treatment for a total of 7 months. Now, I am in a state monitoring program that watches me very closely. I am just now getting back into the work force, and it is so hard to tell these potiential employers about my past, even a little embarrassing. I was just wanting some feedback from some others out there? Their experiences? Stories?
    Welcome and know that you are not alone There are many of us here and we all try to support eachother. My story is posted here for many. The board has been sort of quiet lately but it runs in cycles. I know what you mean and I struggled with how I would present my past to prospective employers. In the end I got the first job I applied for and I was just honest and open.
    I have been there almost 4 years know and God willing I will graduate from the Diversion program in October.

Welcome again

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

FYI: Did anyone check their States? I listed the state BON's and their respective links in the State Forums section.

'Cat'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123