Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impaired nurses

Impaired nurses

Hello to all. I am new to this site and I'm so glad to find it. I haven't found a topic though that plagues alot of nurses;which is substance abuse. I became addicted to pain medication while working on an orthopedic floor in 1998 and began diverting pain medication from the hospital. Eventually, (thank God) I was intervened upon and suspended from work pending a psych eval. I went to treatment for a total of 7 months. Now, I am in a state monitoring program that watches me very closely. I am just now getting back into the work force, and it is so hard to tell these potiential employers about my past, even a little embarrassing. I was just wanting some feedback from some others out there? Their experiences? Stories?

Re: Impaired nurses

May God Bless You in your recovery. Your experience is not as uncommon as we would like to think. Drugs can take hold of the best of people but above everything, always be honest about your past. If you are honest at the start of your interview you will stand a better chance of getting the job. Do No Lie! You say you are returning to the work force and where might that be? How have you been received so far? What do you think about your drug addiction now? I wish you all the best and keep us posted.

God bless you for realizing that you needed help.
    As said before, it's not as uncommon as people think it is.
    Knowing you needed to stop this behavior was the first step.
    Just do your very best, and you'll come through. I agree with not lying, that just adds to the troubles. Take documentation with you to any interview and show them that you have been through a treatment program.
    I went through an Alcohol treatment program a few years back and I showed documentation of completion to almost everyone who had to know (as far as being job related). It hasn't stopped me for advancment, and it won't stop you.
    Good Luck! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Addictions have never been my problem but emotional problems have been the thorn in my side, I was a battered child , and adult for many years. I have been inpatient several times. I have always been open with my employers. Once I had to see a psychiatrist from a facility I wanted to work.After two sessions he wrote a wonderful letter for my employer stating "Because of her problems she will be a very good nurse." I really needed that at that time. I still feel good when I recall the letter. Nurses don't always eat their young as I was told when I started out. Glad to have you here.

looking at this problem from a non clinical point of view, no matter what you do in life, stuff happens, and admitting it is or has happened to you is a major feat in itself. But then comes the part where we as a society, need to put those things aside , and let them get on with thir lives. And offer support wherever and however we can.

I decided long ago, It's OK for awhile to see what others have done too you and blame them, BUT if a person does not move on from there and improve things It is their fault, and know one else's. It's not what happened to us that counts as much in the end as what we do from then on that count. God Bless us all. Judyd

Thanks for the input guys. There was a question about my recovery. I have a good recovery program and I'm coming up on 3 years clean in Jan. I went for a job interview on
    Wednesday for a physicians office. I have to tell any potiential employer of my past. Well, my interview went beautiful. The office manager that interviewed me shared with me that her daughter was in active addiction. It was really touching and I did not feel any less than (something I thought I might experience) when sharing with potiential employers. Anyway,I will know tomorrow if I have the job. It sounded really hopeful, but, if I don't get it, then God has something else for me.
    The reason I wrote this post though was to get addicted nurses to talk about this taboo subject or at least plant some seeds. I know I can't be the only nurse with addictions. Let's face it nurses, we pick this profession because we are co-dependant to begin with. I know this girl has ISSUES. You guys have a blessed and wonderful evening. Prayers to you, Rita

good luck. I hope you get the job!

there aren't very many nurses in the forum but it is growing slowly but steady.

Your right, not many nurses. But are a lot of us who are at the beginning of this journey. And will be here as we do our pre-requisits, and as we go thru school. Learning from what all of ya'll have gone thru before us. YYYYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAWWWWWW only 2 1/2 years to go, but whose counting.

Jerry

Hello Everyone,

Found a few articles online that explain a lot about nurses with drug problems. Thought I'd share:

The Impaired Nurse, Nursingspectrum.com:"When Ralph, a postanesthesia care unit (PACU) nurse, reports to work 30 minutes late one Monday morning, you note that his usual morning tankard of coffee-in-hand is missing. Upon questioning, you detect the scent of alcohol. Because you believe Ralph doesn't have a drinking problem, you simply wonder what mouthwash or aftershave carries such a strong scent."
    http://nsweb.nursingspectrum.com/ce/ce153.htm

Recognizing Drug-Seeking Behavior, Nursing Spectrum.com:"It's 3 AM, Sunday, when the triage bell sounds. It's Linda, a 37-year-old patient, well-known to emergency department (ED) staff, complaining about her "usual" migraine. Of course, she has a "bad one that Imitrex won't touch." And the latest neurologist she saw "just doesn't understand my condition and won't give me medication that works.
    http://nsweb.nursingspectrum.com/ce/ce210.htm

Impaired Nurses Bibliography, Alcohol And Drug Abuse Institute (ADAI):
    http://depts.washington.edu/adai/lib/bibs/sp_302.htm

Narcotic Use and Diversion in Nursing, Mandy L. Hrobak, University of North Carolina Charlotte:"Narcotic use and diversion in nursing is a growing problem that may be difficult to identify. Clinical indicators can help managers and staff become knowledgeable about signs and symptoms. Areas related to job performance, personality/mental status, and diversion are looked at as indicators. Workplace access and deviant work group norms can contribute to the picture. Certain methods of diversion may be hard to detect. Institutions need to be prepared to handle incidences of narcotic use and diversion before they occur. Policies can help provide for positive outcomes for the institution and the nurse, should she/he decide to receive treatment. Patient safety is of the utmost concern. A supportive environment is important for reentry of the rehabilitated nurse at work. Alcohol and drug dependency are covered under the American Disability Act of 1990. Assistance programs, education, and further research are needed in this area."
    http://juns.nursing.arizona.edu/arti...002/hrobak.htm

Nurses in Recovery:"This list began mainly for recovering nurses. Since then all recovering health care professionals are welcome to join and participate. The only requirement is that the participant be a health care professional and be in recovery or have a desire to be in recovery from drug addiction, alcoholism, gambling, codependency... any obsessive compulsive addictive process."
    http://www.tktucker.net/nir/

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast