Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not In My Job Description

Re: Not In My Job Description

Wow. This would NEVER happen where I work. We float sometimes, but it's always in the nurse role.

My employer would never pay a top dollar RN to sit with a patient, for example. And most RNs aren't qualified to be monitor techs unless they work in CCU or something. But again - it'd never happen.

When I worked in the ICU I did have to clean rooms occasionally when we'd get rid of the bubble patient and take a new ER admit at nite.

You could look at it another way, working as a secretary or a sitter would be a great way to get off of your feet for 12 hours!!

Member Extraordinaire

I agree with TomB- If they want to pay me RN wages to be a sitter, where if the patient is sleeping, I can watch TV, read a book, etc, then what's the big deal? Sometimes it's nice to take a break from your regular routine!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
    Maybe my question was vague. Pay is not the issue. Is refusing to do a job that you were not hired to do "abandonment"? Have they the right to threaten you with abandonment to get you to do a job that is not in your job description?
    Why wouldn't you do it? Do it with a smile and build some good work ethic. You don't want it to seem like you think you are too good for certain jobs. If you are looking to advance your career you need to have the right values, work ethic, and friends in the field. You won't get any of those by making a big deal about mopping the floor or secretary duty.

Ricu

I think Maddies underlying concern is that she's being pulled to do non-nursing and it sounds like she's feeling a little resentful. "After all, I got the training so I should be doing nursing..." It seems as though the message loud and clear from the readers is that nursing sometimes includes everything else under. Where I work, it sometimes includes activity over nursing too. Anyway, Maddie, don't lose heart when you sometimes do non-nursing tasks.

Another one who's been there.

R

Well lets face it no one wants to feel they are being asked to less than they are qualified for, but all is a means to an end. I am a BSN working in a ER and at times I to do the jobs of techs. This is not punishment it is working as a team. We should all contribute what we can just to get the job done. I too often hear that tech should stock or get the BP, temp, ect. This behavior does not get the job done it delays care. I try to teach all new nurses that they are not too good for anything, as in the end it is all our job. With the shortage we can only expect to pick up the pace a little and as said earlier if it does not affect pay nor should it affect attitude. It is about the patient and they don't now how you helped them at the end of the day (does not matter if you took the BP or answered the phone), they just will know they feel cared for if the unit works as a team.

We usualy look at the lucky bum who gets to do the gravy shift IE:tech work with a bit of envy in our hearts I mean who wouldn't want an easy days pay. If you know the job and they are confident in your skills, do as your told and enjoy the fact that they trust you.
    Now if you are an LPN,LVN or a tech and they ask you to hang a unit of blood RUN, other than that enjoy the fact that you HAVE a job; before it becomes, You HAD a job.:luck:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12