Thread: New in nursing

New in nursing

Hi everybody I need some advice. I have a B.S in Biology, and I am currently enrolled in a graduate program in Microbiology but I have realized that Nursing is my true calling. In addition to this, I went to Medical School in my country for 3 semesters.
    Can anyone tell me, what steps should I take in order to become a nurse (R.N)? :confused: I would appreciate your advise a lot.

Thank you all.

Re: New in nursing

You will need to apply to your local nursing programs, just like anyone else. Make an appointment with one of the counselors from the school to find out if you have all the pre-requisites.

I'd also advise some work in healthcare to make sure you know what you are getting into.

I have work in healthcare so I know what I am getting myself into. I have another question. I need to become an R.N before getting into a BSN right?

Quote Originally Posted by Okan5
    Hi everybody I need some advice. I have a B.S in Biology, and I am currently enrolled in a graduate program in Microbiology but I have realized that Nursing is my true calling. In addition to this, I went to Medical School in my country for 3 semesters.
    Can anyone tell me, what steps should I take in order to become a nurse (R.N)? :confused: I would appreciate your advise a lot.

Thank you all.
    Did you complete your B.S. in Biology here in the U.S.? If yes (or if your degree is accredited here) then you can go to a school that offers accelerated Bachelor's Degree in Nursing. The first requirement is that you already have a Bachelor's Degree. Second requirement is that you complete a list of prerequisite courses (such as Anatomy and Physiology, etc) before entrance into the Nursing Program. This list is a little different from school to school so you need to decide what school(s) you are applying to, and then get these courses under your belt. I would suggest taking the prereqs at a community college -- cheap and fast...just make sure they are accepted (usually there are no problems).

Note: BSN is acronym for Bachelor's of Nursing -- 4 year degree program to become an RN. You can achieve this in 1 year through the accelerated BSN I was talking of above.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

One doesn't have to have get their RN before getting a BSN. Sometimes people wait to get their degree due to time/money/other constraints.