Hi, I am from Singapore, 16 and male. Am taking the Cambridge 'O'-level examinations (British) and after this, I'll have to choose what to learn. Like Nursing. Or Engineering. Or even IT.

For your information, www.sg is a good site about Singapore. Singapore is located in South-East Asia. It is one of America's largest trading partners and allies and it has a relatively high GDP. It is a very small country.

In Singapore, nurses are viewed as great people, especially after the SARS outbreak. However, male nurses are stigmatised again, like in almost all other countries.

Male nurses are not seen as gays or homosexuals. People (patients) just don't feel comfortable. For example, most patients in Singapore, call out 'Missy!' if they want a nurse. And for non-English speaking old folks, what would they call me then?

However, I really want to help people. I think an Engineering job or something else won't give me the satisfaction of helping others. I cannot be a doctor - i don't have the qualifications. So I can choose nursing.

Now I am like using a beam balance. On one side, we've the stigma and perceptions. I know perceptions are just perceptions and we shouldn't care what others say - But deep inside, I care. And there are the very horrible looking uniforms. And the few other boys who choose to be nurses.

On the other hand, Nursing will give me great satisfaction and happiness. The pay is rather high, and nurses are generally viewed as heros. Then there's the scholarship - free diploma + university education (La Trobe University in Australia) and monthly allowance of S$1000.

Can you please tell me about what I can expect to learn as a nurse? I am a Biology student, but I hate graphical diagrams. I don't want to do the same thing that I'm doing now.