Thread: should I?

should I?

I'm doing prereq's for RN right now, am a recently divorced mom of 2; age 50. Does you first and possibly second year of nursing (working) really have to be so physically demanding? Is there a possibility of finding a PT job that won't drain you physically right off the bat? I am reasonably active but have mild Fibromyagia, fatigue being the drawback. Can I do this. I'm pushing forward . . . I feel the perks would offset the drawbacks.
    any advice? missshellie

Ricu

Re: should I?

Quote Originally Posted by missshellie View Post
    I'm doing prereq's for RN right now, am a recently divorced mom of 2; age 50. Does you first and possibly second year of nursing (working) really have to be so physically demanding? Is there a possibility of finding a PT job that won't drain you physically right off the bat? I am reasonably active but have mild Fibromyagia, fatigue being the drawback. Can I do this. I'm pushing forward . . . I feel the perks would offset the drawbacks.
    any advice? missshellie
    Hi there,

While there are endless career possibilities to explore after you complete school, I'm afraid that you will have to "pay your dues" through school and clinical. There is no way around the fact that nursing is both physically and emotionally challenging but as you indicated, the perks can certainly offset the drawbacks. You can make it through this and be just fine. I know a number of nurses who have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and they manage. Keep us posted on your plans.

Good luck,

R