Thread: Anyone from Kentucky?

Anyone from Kentucky?

Hey everyone, My names Bryan. I'm new here, I'm planning to become an LVN/LPN then work to become an RN. Is anyone from the Kentucky Area? Lexington or Frankfort.. I'm looking for a good LPN Program.

I currently work for an I.T. Company(data processing), the pay is decent but I'm sick of staring at the computer all day. I always wanted to become a Nurse. Any tips/comments would be nice. Thanks!

Re: Anyone from Kentucky?

Hey. Just wanted to advise you that if you can manage getting in to an LPN program, you can manage an ADN/RN program. The work is VERY similar. I MAJORLY regret not going for the ADN/RN, vs. the LPN program. Please, please check your options out thoroughly. I was STUCK as an LPN for almost 15 years; it's a LOT harder to go back and "complete" your degree than most schools make it seem, once you're working full-time. If you're smart enough to become an LPN, you're smart enough to earn the initial RN (associate's degree). THEN, you can let your employer pay while you work for your BSN. I wish you much luck, no matter what option you choose!

Re: Anyone from Kentucky?

shushoo makes some good points however LPN to RN is the best career path for some people.

You can work and go to LPN school and after you have completed your LPN or LVN program you can work as a practical nurse or vocational nurse while you earn your RN or BSN Degree.

Additionally, you'll have more "hands on" experience after going through an LPN program at the vocational school than you would ever get at a traditional RN or BSN program. That, along with your work as a nurse while getting your RN or BSN is absolutely priceless.

You already know what you are doing, YOU ARE DOING IT...for the most part, and you are comfortable in the setting already, if you've been an LPN and are currently working. This is an advantage none of the traditional second year RN students likely have that you will have.

You could do this without ever having to take a college course.

However, if you have gotten those out of the way and can enter an RN or BSN program now, then after the same amount of time, completion of your first year of the college nursing program, you can challenge the LPN boards...at least in Oklahoma you can. So then you'd be in pretty much the same boat.

In my case, my grades weren't very good and I didn't think I could get into nursing school after 4.5 years of partying like the drunken fraternity boy that I was, so I went to LPN school. I figured, it would be a year before I could get accepted to RN school anyway, so why not get my LPN first and then enter the transition program?

That was my plan. I completed the LPN program and then never went back. I didn't go back because I started this site and it ended up taking up every waking moment of my free time. It ended up as a side business and then I started another business and RN school no longer became an option.

If I was going to work as a nurse I would absolutely go to RN school via an LPN to RN transition program. There's no reason to do the job you are doing and get paid LPN wages when one year of school will get you RN wages for the rest of your life.