Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For our newest members

Re: For our newest members

Okay I am going to ask you established nurses in Med -Surg a favour.

Imagine I am coming on to your ward as a graduate RN. I want you to tell me what you expect of me and want me to do. At this stage: I can assess and admit a patient, pass out meds, mix antibiotics and inject through IV or volumentric control unit, set uop a syringe driver with some guidance, hook up IV's, take blood by syringe, (cannot do venepuncture). Can do obs, BSL's, Fluid Balances, ECGs, showers, charting, telemonitry, refer to trend care (which is actualising patient staff workload for budget and shift numbers), suction, remove sutures/staples, dress wounds and attend to urinary catheterisation. What else should I be doing and how many people would you leave me to take care of? Would I have a mentor and for how long. Is there anything I have forgotten? I am used to meds charts in bed charts which are paper, not electronic. Our shifts are generally 8 hours in Australia, 0700-1530hrs, 14-30-2300 and 22.30-0715hrs. Any hints excellent.
    thanks in anticipation.Trier.

trier,

Hang in there, your irresolution in your capabilities are normal for a new graduate. Try and work more shifts if you can to gain experience. You are more than qualified and experience with all the tools you need to provide safe and effective care to your clients. If overwhelmed try looking to time management literature and tools. Look for those nurses on your floor or department that are seasoned and adopt the behavior that gets them through their day. You will devise want works for you, find your niche, and soon you will have your routine down. Every nursing job is different but ultimately the same. Every nursing job presents itself with its challenges. Enjoy your experience and the people you care for.

Orientation and/or mentoring to a nusing unit/floor in the States for new grad is typically 2-4 weeks. Remember your organization is responsible for training you (to policy and procedure) and making you feel compfortable - to fit in. It is not to feel feeble in asking for assistance and guidance. Your organization is vested in you and wants you to stay. If you do not feel compfortable yet, then asking for additional training is not out of hand. Good luck to you and welcome to nursing.

Smile Re: For our newest members

Thank you Sean

You have made my day and I know I am capable. I think I just needed someone to give me some assurance. To all of you nurses out there thank you for helping we newer members make the transition to Rn knowing how scary it can be. Bless you all andf have a wonderfuil Christmas and happy new year. Tell me is there any way that we can get responses emailed to us after someone repliesd to our posts?
    Jan

Smile Re: For our newest members

I just joined this forum tonight. I work as a Care Assistant as you can tell from my user ID. I am from England. I am 30 years old. I have worked in Elderly Care since I was 16 years old. It all started for me as Work Experience in a residential Care Home. I loved what I did so much I decided to become a Care Assistant myself. I love my job so much I wouldn't want to do any other job now.

I see that there are nurses from all over the world on this forum. I hope to get to know some of you.

Welcome to the forums CA.
    Look forward to your posts.

Regards,
    KJ

Thankyou for the reply.

****o
    I am new here I have only posted in the one that is asking what I thought about a union here in Texas and I said that I am all for it because we C.N.A.'S deserve to be paid better wages as well too and to be treated like the Nurses are treated too. I think that we are the ears and the eyes of the Nurses In the Homes , Hospitals and the Nursing Centers all over the world wether they are Privately owned or State Funded we as C.N.A.'s need the respect that the R.N.'s L.V.N.'s and the Medication Aides get too not to mention the L.P.N.'s , I know that alot of you probably don't feel that way but at least we do and I am speaking from experience because I am a Certified Nurses Aide and I started this type of work before the states ever decided to have made manatory that everyone that works in the nursing homes or centers or even the hospitals become Certified. I just want we deserve to have and the respect that we have the right too as well too.
    Thanks
    Ladyoftherose

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123