Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monday, September 14th, 2009

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Monday, September 14th, 2009

Mornin', folks. I still hate Mondays. Am usually off, but somehow got put down to work.

Ricu, what gets me is the late hour the person got in. :bite me:

I need coffee. Get the pot a-perkin'.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Monday, September 14th, 2009

back again for the moment.
    I've been working 4 12's a week at least and did a couple of 5 day wees. I got canceled today so have to call to see if they can give me another day this week...if not oh well. The beach is great, it's a little overcast today but got overcooked yesterday. Got a new bike last week so now riding as well as waling lots. Our little dog got hit by a car last week but she's ok. I got renewed until the end of Dec which is fine with me hope to stay until the end of March.

Hey, Cass; was wondering what all was going on. Too bad you can't drop by here while on break at work.

Time to get a harness for the dog, eh? They do work. We used to wonder what took us so long to get one for the dog I had when I was growing up. Am surprised he never chewed it apart.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post

Mornin', folks. I still hate Mondays. Am usually off, but somehow got put down to work.

Ricu, what gets me is the late hour the person got in. :bite me:

I need coffee. Get the pot a-perkin'.

Yeah, I somehow forgot you worked evenings. That IS late. Talk about a dump...

15 minutes before time to clock out? Yeah, that is a bit late. Of course, could be transport, but on a Sunday night? I figured Fridays and Saturdays are the worst days.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    15 minutes before time to clock out? Yeah, that is a bit late. Of course, could be transport, but on a Sunday night? I figured Fridays and Saturdays are the worst days.
    Transport issues aside, I'm assuming that your resident went to and came back from a hospital. It seems to me that moving him/her so late in the day was anything but patient focused and unless he/she occupied the very LAST bed available and the facility was swamped with admissions, your resident could've easily spent the night and been moved the next morning. How long did it take to get the person settled down or do you think he/she was amped up all night long?

Member Extraordinaire

can't check at work have the site blocked. A harness wouldn't have worked on the dog as she ran out the open door the boy had left open when he was taking out the trash she does ok with a leash on a walk she's just needs to not rush the door and get over me leaving her

Ricu, there is just no telling. Things sounded pretty 'Q' over at the ER, so no figuring.

Cass, too bad site is blocked.

I'll be back later. Gotta go check on some noise.

Working 11-7 tonight, oh joy! Least I can sleep in peace in the morning now that school has started.

Could handle working nights all time, but swinging back/forth is rough.

Found a few good articles on the topic:

Tips for Surviving and Enjoying the Night Shift, Findarticles.com:"Whether you are a new graduate starting night shifts for the first time or an experienced night shift worker, these tips may assist you to improve your night shift experiences. We as night nurses carry a responsibility for the safety of those we care for, therefore part of that care is to look after our own needs in order to meet the needs of our patients; for example, by getting adequate rest and relaxation before we commence night shift."
    Tips for Surviving and Enjoying the Night Shift | Whitireia Nursing Journal | Find Articles at BNET

NIght Shift Challenges, Helen V. Calalang-Javier, MSN, RNC, IBCLC, Bellaonline.com:"Working nights is a challenge for most nursing staff especially when one has to work for 4-5 nights in a row. Some nights are easy and some nights are chaotic. The nursing activities at night are slightly different in some areas such as in Mother-Baby Unit because most new mothers are healthy and they need more rest period. However, think about the trauma that comes in the emergency room every night and face non- stop excitement, drama, and stress. Or in the intensive care unit where one has to deal with codes after codes or ventilator intermittently beeping one patient after the other. All these situations can cause physical and emotional stress especially when working on the night shift."
    NIght Shift Challenges - Nursing

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly.com, A National Nursing & Consumer Health Directory

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Working from home today as my son has a temp and sore throat - Funny as soon as all posibility of school was ruled out he got a lot better - still I'm not taking any chances - the GOd's have been good to me this week - hope all is well with you all

Hppygr8ful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast