Thread: RN with EMT cert???

RN with EMT cert???

Hi. I'm currently certified as an EMT-B but am also in the final semester to get my BSN and become an RN. My EMT certification is getting ready to expire and I'm wondering if there's any advantage in having both EMT and RN? Basically the EMT recert process is a pain in the ass and I'm wondering if I should even bother. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Re: RN with EMT cert???

Has anyone replied to you regarding this? I'm in the same boat. Looking for advice on weather to recert or not. I feel like because I spent all that time getting certified, I should just recertify... it may help me get jobs, I don't know..?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: RN with EMT cert???

It does look good on a resume, but that's about it. Once you are licensed as an RN, that will trump any EMT certification. Even if you were licensed as a paramedic, as well as an RN, if you are working as an RN, you cannot do paramedic-specific skills. For example, if you are working in a hospital or rescue squad as an RN, and you go to a code, you cannot intubate. Even though your paramedic license would qualify you to do this, it is out of the scope of practice for an RN. That is really the only skill that paramedics can do that RN's can't.

Being that you are an EMT-B, this wouldn't really apply anyways, so you really have to look at whether the cost and time for renewing & getting your CEU's is worth it. You can't use the same CEU's for nursing as for your EMT. If I were you, I'd let the EMT certification expire. You can still put it on your resume, just make sure you list the dates you were active.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen