For those in TX who are interested: New nursing program begins accepting applications | News for Austin, Texas | Austin News | KVUE.com | KVUE News |Local News

Texas State University has started accepting applications for its St. David's School of Nursing. It will be accepting about 100 students for fall classes.

Mary Alice Warner graduated from UTMB's Nursing School in May.

"Austin was my top choice of places to work, and I wanted to work in the ER or ICU. So this ER opportunity became available," said Warner.

She feels lucky to be working at St. David's Medical Center. St. David's says it's lucky to have its pick of the top nurses, like Warner. And there's about to be even more choices.

Texas State University is now accepting applications for its St. David's School of Nursing in Round Rock.

"I think it's exciting because they're getting a 21st century program," said Marla Erbin-Roesemann, school director.

By this time next year, the building will be open with 100 new nursing students.

"Our whole second floor of our building will be a state of the art simulation lab. Some of that is designed to cut down the amount of clinical rotations they'll have to do in hospitals because that space is not there," said Erbin-Roesemann.

That lack of space is one of the reasons attributing to the nursing shortage. The other is a shortage of instructors. Experts say in 10 years, the State of Texas will be short some 25,000 nurses.

But new schools may help change the landscape. Add to that job security. Warner moved away from her job as a nutritionist -- in part -- because of the flexibility with nursing. She says she is rewarded every day with this career.

"I think the best thing is seeing the patients go home smiling and knowing that you've made a difference," said Warner.

Texas State is not the only new nursing program opening next fall. Concordia University will also have a new program next fall.

Still, it will continue to be very competitive for nurses to get into these schools.