Thread: seriously?

seriously?

OK I am a new CNA/RNT, I have just got a job at a rehab hospital. so far until last night everything has been going well.... I am 3 days into being without my preceptor. working the 11p-7a shift. and I get the pleasure of working with an LPN that feels like belittling me because I wasn't fast enough for his standards. keep in mind I was given 13 patients I have never worked with before, (which I won't complain about) but these are very demanding patients that gave an experienced CNA/RNT fits the night before, along with an High precaution patient that takes time to gown up before even entering the room. and I'm not complaining that the patients were needy. It happens. (I do find it funny that the shift prior has every one listed as cont. yet 4 people need changed during my first rounds...) oh well... Sh*t happens anyway this LPN jumped me because he was 20 minutes late giving report. yes I will admit I do let my patients talk when they want to ( I have gained alot of their trust, since I have started by just listening to what they want, they seem to feel most CNA's are more worried about themselves than the patients, at least thats what I gather) however this does take a little longer but not exceedingly. and Had I not the LPN i am speaking about would have ended up with a med error, since it was documented in the wrong spot, he said he would have never looked there in the 15 min window he had left to administer it when I found out about it. I'm just frustrated, cause I'm a perfectionist..I work hard (last night-non stop) and I only went over 10 minutes. but all my paperwork was complete, all my patients were taken care of, and I even helped out on the adjacent wing when my fellow RNT was overloaded with call lights. It just sucks I have got a lot of praise from the other RN's and LPN I have worked with... why do I deserved bashed by this one when I actually worked harder... oh well. Thanks for letting me vent!

Ricu

Re: seriously?

Defektiv,

It sounds like you're doing a good job of getting your feet wet. Everyone will eventually get used to working with each other just know that some do it better and/or faster than others. Keep doing what you're doing. Help everywhere you can and try to always be upbeat even when someone is crapping on you. It will be in your best interest to have the reputation of being a really good guy to work with, no matter what. Come back to vent anytime.

Good luck ,

R

Wink Re: seriously?

Most of us have to get used to getting ragged on when we first start out as CNAs. Don't take this personally or it will affect your work and your overall mood and enjoyment of your job. Concentrate on the positives you have going for yourself. And yes, you can always come here to vent.

Re: seriously?

Finishing 10 minutes late is almost S.O.P. during the night shift that I work. Taking the cert test tomorrow. Word to the wise regarding the occasional hard ass nurse - Illegitimi non carborundum!