And they just took St. Francis over a little over a year ago. How do you like THAT? More Than 100 Laid off at Blue Island Hospital

Blue Island's MetroSouth Medical Center has laid off 120 employees just weeks after it celebrated its first anniversary with speeches, awards and a barbecue.

Layoffs this week made up 10 percent of the hospital's 1,300-person staff and are a response to a declining number of patients.

"Those reductions are necessary in light of decreases in patient activity, which we believe are tied directly to the troubled economy," chief executive officer Arnold Kimmel said. "We think there are a significant number of people who are not going to the doctor and not getting the kind of treatment that they need."

It's a familiar theme for all of the Southland's hospitals as they battle the recession and face a growing number of uninsured patients.

Kimmel said the moves would not disrupt the quality of care nor efforts to ensure the hospital's future, among them recruiting primary physicians and families.

"We expect to continue that growth in 2009 and all of 2010 and 2011," he said.

On July 29 MetroSouth celebrated the one-year anniversary of taking over the beleaguered St. Francis Hospital, then owned by the St. Louis-based SSM Health Care, and turning it into a for-profit company.

Investors including Kimmel paid one dollar for the hospital and spent $3 million in the take over, which came as the hospital was sustaining $15 million in losses. That doesn't count dollars spent on new equipment and upgrades, including a fast-track emergency room system and an electronic medical record.

Weeks ago, when the hospital threw its anniversary party outside the facility at 12935 S. Gregory St., Kimmel gave no indication of what lay ahead.

"It was a time for us to celebrate the significant accomplishments we've made over the year," he said Wednesday. "We have a lot to celebrate - not today. We have accomplished a lot and we are continuing to make the investments needed for the long term."

Those laid off included Charity Wilkes, of Dolton, an instrument tech in central service. Supervisors informed her of the termination Wednesday morning, ending an 11-year career there.

"It's one of those things. It wasn't expected but it happens," Wilkes said. "It wasn't anything to do with job performance - it was due to a financial thing with the hospital."

Wilkes planned to find out details about her severance package and her unemployment benefits.

"I think God has bigger and better things for me; it may take some time for me to get there," she said. "I do believe this is part of his plan. I just think in due time, things will fall in place."

U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-1st), of Chicago, said in a statement Wednesday the layoffs were a contradiction to MetroSouth's pledge to maintain the same services after taking over.

"Today's move undermines this pledge while forcing scores of people to join the ranks of Illinois' unemployed," he said.

Related links:
http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...d-close-30102/

http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...-island-31758/