Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graduated 2 yrs ago..will I ever get a job?

Re: Graduated 2 yrs ago..will I ever get a job?

Gaby, the recession won't last forever so do try to keep your spirits up. I suggest applying at every hospital around and not letting job listings that ask for "experienced nurses only" stop you from applying anyway.

If you get an interview you have to be positive and "sell" yourself as the best person for the job. Even in times such as these the most experienced nurse isn't always the best fit for the position - there's room to take on a nurse without experience too.

If you could manage to get a med surg position it would give you the experience you need in order to move into specialty units later on if you want to.

If time goes by and you still don't manage any job offers then you could also consider making use of tuition reimbursement benefits and all available state student aid programs to continue your education by earning a Master's degree in Nursing, either part time at a local university or online while you work. Once you finish your MSN degree you would be a new grad again - one with a Master's this time, and the recession might be over by then as well.
    Hoping to make a difference, one student at a time... Online Nursing Programs, Online Nursing Schools, and Nursing Career Blog

Re: Graduated 2 yrs ago..will I ever get a job?

Unfortunately, the economy does play a huge role in the problem you are experiencing. Although you may not want to, you may have to relocate. You have a career that is still in high demand. If you dont live where the jobs are then you definitely need to move. I am an LPN currently in school for my RN. I live in Chicago, where the nursing jobs are plentiful and they pay very well especially with a bachelors degree. You should call some of the big hospitals like Rush, University of Chicago, Northwestern Hosp, University of Illinois. I dont have any suggestions as far as your area but I know that their are some great opportunities in the Windy City for nurses with your credentials. Hope I helped you some.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12