Thread: public's image of nurses as professionals

Thumbs down public's image of nurses as professionals

Just venting a little. Nurse "leaders" are fond of claiming that if only all nurses possess BSN's, the public will start to view nurses as true professionals. Well, I just started orientation at a facility where a male supervisor presented himself at work wearing a t-shirt that said, "Save a Virgin. Do Me". I don't know. I really don't care what people wear in their personal lives but it seems to me that if I were a patient or a family member visiting and needed to speak to the nursing supervisor I would not be too impressed with someone who shows up to work in an outfit such as that. Actually I would probably find it offensive and would not be too inclined to think of that nurse as a professional person. People like that demean the profession and only contribute to the public's already poor image of nurses. It should be up to individual nurses to show some respect for their patients, patients' families and co-workers by showing up to work appropriately dressed; not sporting clothing better left to be worn in a person's private life. As I said, just venting a little.

Unhappy Re: public's image of nurses as professionals

I can't believe a nurse would wear such an innappropriate shirt to work...he is inviting a sexual harassment charge. My BNE would likely consider it unprofessional behavior as well.

Re: public's image of nurses as professionals

He wasn't doing much for the professional image of nursing was he? Gotta wonder what is going through people's minds sometimes. Are they so burned out that they no longer care, are they taking out their frustrations in all the wrong places.

You've got every right to be offended, I'd be compelled to pull the person aside and ask what was up with the shirt myself. If they didn't take a hint and throw on a pair of scrubs, anything else that happened after that was on him.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com