Thread: Newbie-Looking for male nursing association

Question Newbie-Looking for male nursing association

****o all, My names Matt MacKrell and I'm currently finishing my Junior year as a nursing student in a BSN program. I have been struggling with gender bias issues lately and I'm looking for support and maybe a professional organization to join. My situation is rather unique in the sense that not only am I a male nursing student but the college I attend is Texas Women's University. I am very proud to have made into their program since a 4.0 GPA was required to be one of 110 students accepted into my class. Although I have much pride in my school and career choice I have been encountering enourmous amounts of gender bias from professionals, instructors, and peers. Sometimes it seems the only ones that are comfortable with my being a nurse are the patients i care for. This has become such a large issue to me that I am seriously considering focusing my career on ending the outrageous steroetypes associated with our profession. I know many of you feel as i do and that is why this forum exists but my question to you is, is there a professional male nursing association? Perhaps a subdivision of the ANA or NSA? I'm tired of simply complaining about these issues and I'm ready to act. I want to get involved. I'm located in Dallas TX and I have a few other male nursing student friends that are as passionate about this issue as I am. So any help or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Talking Re: Newbie-Looking for male nursing association

I don't know if there are associations perse but there are plenty of forums.
    Suggest you find a seasoned male nurse to mentor you. My experience is this: a nurse (specially a new one) with a chip on his shoulder reaps what he sows.

My male colleagues over my past 27 years in nursing are not generally overwhelmed with gender bias issues...they're too busy doing their jobs. A nurse (whatever gender, ethnicity, etc) who does a good job and is a teamplayer does well in nursing. Just my 2 cents.