Thread: another older guy

another older guy

46, looking to start a career in nursing, was layed off from previous job now working in a career I can't stand. have some college (69 credits) is it possible for me to start a career? And how? LPN, RN? what is best?
    thanks
    Dave

Re: another older guy

Dave,

41 year old here, in my 2nd semester of a BSN program. I do not think you are too old. Lots of older folks in my program. LPN, ADRN, or BSN, depends on how much time you want to put in and what credits you already have. Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

Your DEFINITLY not too old, man! It might be worth considering some other type of healthcare as well. I know that I'm 43 this year and even at that age, the long/hard hours are not as easy as when I was 25.
    If I was gonna go back to school now, I'd also consider something like exercise physiology. As our population grows older, it's incumbent on us to learn methods to not only cure the body but to keep it in shape. ExPhys is an example of that.
    The reason I'd consider more options is that your gonna be around 49-50 when finished. After 18 years in nursing, I just now got one of those jobs that is not long hours/weekends/holidays. It was fine when I was 25 to work like that, but now, with kids/etc I want more freedoms.
    Whatever you decide on, medicine is a very stimulating/rewarding field to be in. So, come on in! Hope this helps.

****o Dave,

Nope, you're not too old if nursing is something that you'd enjoy and get job satisfaction out of.

I'd check around for nursing programs in your area. http://www.4nursingschools.com

Take the fastest route that will get you to an "RN" license (probably a diploma or 2 year associates degree program). Do ask about waiting lists (can be 0 to 3 years at times). See what credits you already have will transfer.

Getting an LPN is faster, less school, easier and will pay less (RN's make 40K-60K in the Northeast, LPN's 30-45).

Keep in mind, like plumbing, nursing is physical and you do tend to work for you money. It is a difficult and demanding profession, make no mistake. Call it the toughest job you'll ever love.

I went into nursing when I was 27 and have few regrets. Once I had some experience, I've never had a hard time finding work. My first job out of school was in a hospital doing med/surg/tele that prepared me for going into other career options as well.

Job outlook? For nurses, the shortage we're in will be ongoing for the next few decades. Plenty of work, above average pay (though many would argue we are not paid enough for what we do), flexible hours once you are experienced.

Unlike most 9-5 corporate jobs, nurses are needed on days 7-3, evenings 3-11 and nights 11-7, or weekends 7am to 7pm, weeknights 7pm to 7am and other shifts in between. Meaning, you can adapt your schedule to your lifestyle or childcare needs.

To help you decide if it is for you, check out Nurses' Views of The Nursing Profession, http://www.nursefriendly.com/views
    They are articles written by nurses on why they would, would not recommend nursing to others.

Hope that is helpful,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

thanks all for the great advice and insight into nursing, I will be off to my local college this week to get started. Thanks all again.
    Dave

Yeah actually you can continue what you are started! good luck!

You're never too old man, go for it. One of my best friend's fathers worked in a mine till he was 42. They shut down the mine and as compensation offered to send him to nursing school. He thought he may be too old at first too but you are never too old to help people and rake in cash.

It's not too late. I am 38 and am starting LPN program Jan '06. Will be my 3rd career.

Go for it!

Talking Re: another older guy

I started as a LPN (shorter) then worked my way through the RN program in time. Most hospitals assist with tuition in this way for LPN's going on to RN. You are NOT too old...if you have the inclination to care for people, go for it!

Oh and I'm an 'old gal' nurse...and IME 99.9% of nurses tend to enjoy our colleagues if they're patient oriented and team players (whatever the gender, ethnicity etc)

Please don't listen to naysayers who tell you otherwise. Yes, there are always a few bad seeds everywhere (male and female ) but in general I've found the best nurse workplace has a mix of genders)