Thread: Nurse in education that needs help

Nurse in education that needs help

Hello, I'm currently studying nursery and we currently have an important group-assignment.

The problem is we can't find a solution for a problem (we're only 1st year students, so it's probably simpler than we think)

the problem is our made-up patient keeps on pulling his infusionneedle (sorry, I don't know the real english word for it.) out of his body.

How do you have to prevent him from doing that? We already have talking to him about the risks and using a bandage to prevent him from taking ik out, but I think there's a better-working solution, which we can't seem to find.

So if you know a good solution to this problem: I'm all ears!

P.S. in Holland (where I live and study) we are not allowed to tie the patient's hands, so he won't be able to pull it out...

Ricu

Re: Nurse in education that needs help

Without physical, i.e. mitts or soft wrist restraints, your options are limited to 1:1 supervision or chemical (drug) restraints. The facility where I work, Magnet certification pending, would require 1:1 nursing supervision for that patient situation.

R

Re: Nurse in education that needs help

Hi bloodthrister,

Can you share more details about your "patient" so we might be able to better understand why he's pulling the IV needle out? Is "he" elderly? Suffering from traumatic brain injury, or confused by the medications he's been prescribed?

If his confusion is related to his medications then the nurse could discuss the situation with the attending physician to determine whether the meds could be adjusted to help clear his mind.

If the laws in Holland forbid restraints do they also forbid mitts as Ricu suggested? If not, could you try wrapping the needle insertion area with gauze and taping mitts onto the patient's hands?