Thread: Nursing In America and Midwifery

Nursing In America and Midwifery

I'm 15 years old and live in the UK. I want to be a midwife when I am older and have done so since I was little. Another dream of mine, however, is to live in NYC! Now obviously the health systems are different but I know of one company, O'Grady Peyton who sponser moves but the real problem I have is knowing whether to do a Nursing degree and then a Midwifery Degree or just go for a Midwifery degree as you can in England. Does going JUST for the Midwifery degree make me still qualify for sponsership?

Does anyone know any other companies that do they same thing as O'Grady Peyton?

Lucy

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nursing In America and Midwifery

go to nursing school for RN degree then for a masters prepared midwife program. There are lay midwifes and professional midwifes. Go for the professional. Get the RN first and get a labor and delivery job then on to the midwife schooling and job.

Talking Re: Nursing In America and Midwifery

Hi Lucy! I have several nurse friends (and many coworkers in general) who came from the UK, and one was a nurse midwife. She decided to go on staff in ICU as her experience was the midwifery training and liabilities differ from UK to US. As you likely know, nurses are in demand in the US and UK trained nurses do very well here. My best friend from the UK even married an American man and has stayed here to raise her family.(much to the chagrin of her mother back in Sussex...LOL!)

Good luck to you whatever you decide...and kudos to you for thinking ahead at such a young age! You shall do well I predict!

Mattsmom (Deb)

****o Lucy,

I'd find out the rules that apply to midwives in the US first. Most US states do not have "direct entry" meaning you won't be able to practice as you do in England.

Your best bet, would be to come over as "Registered Nurse" then find out what career options are available for further study. Nurses are in high demand here as in England, opportunities for higher degrees are plentiful as well.

I'd contact:

American College of Nurse Midwives:"With roots dating to 1929, the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) is the oldest women's health care organization in the U.S. ACNM provides research, accredits midwifery education programs, administers and promotes continuing education programs, establishes clinical practice standards, creates liaisons with state and federal agencies and members of Congress. The mission of ACNM is to promote the health and well-being of women and infants within their families and communities through the development and support of the profession of midwifery as practiced by certified nurse-midwives, and certified midwives. The philosophy inherent in the profession states that nurse-midwives believe every individual has the right to safe, satisfying health care with respect for human dignity and cultural variations."
    American College of Nurse-Midwives.
    8403 Colesville Rd, Suite 1550 Silver Spring MD 20910
    Phone: 240-485-1800 • Fax: 240-485-1818
    http://www.midwife.org

See what they suggest.

Best wishes,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Thank you everyone for your replies. I kinda like the idea of coming over as a RN and then furthering my study later in life. Now another question.... can someone please run me through a typical day? I understand there will be no real 'typical day' but just generally speaking.

Lucy

Member Extraordinaire

for a labor and delivery nurse let's see: get your patient assignment(s), assess your patient, decide what you have to do for your patient to get the baby out, monitor them, give medications, call doctor, skip break, skip lunch have baby hopefully vaginal with not complications hopefully not a premature baby clean the room get other patients in for non stress tests between monitoring that patient give report go home.

Quote Originally Posted by cutegirl11
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I kinda like the idea of coming over as a RN and then furthering my study later in life. Now another question.... can someone please run me through a typical day? I understand there will be no real 'typical day' but just generally speaking.

Lucy
    Hi Lucy,

These sites describe a typical day:

A Shift in the Life — The Ongoing Story of a Critical Care Nurse "The Dead Horse" -- Part 1 — by Matthew Nathan Castens, RN, Coolnurse.com:"One of my least favorite jobs in nursing is working as charge nurse. As charge nurse for the shift, I have to know quite a bit about each patient as I act as a resource for all of the staff. This is the part I like. The part I don't like is working with the staffing office and supervisor to arrange for any admissions and finding the nurses to staff the next shift. Unfortunately, this is most of the job of charge nurse."
    http://www.coolnurse.com/icu2.htm

What I Do At Work from Laura Robusto, BSN, RN:"Part 1. A Day in the Life of a Bedside Nurse - The Start of the Shift. I receive many questions about what it is like to be a nurse. I'd like to describe my day for you so that you can see for yourself what the duties of a typical bedside nurse are. I work on a floor that takes care of patients who have had cardiac surgery, typically coronary artery bypass grafts or valve repairs/replacements. These patients usually are one to two days post-op, and have been transferred up to us from the cardiac intensive care unit, where they went after their surgery. If all goes well, they will stay on our floor until they are discharged to home. All of our patients are on cardiac monitoring, called telemetry, so that we can see their heart rhythm at all times. Typical shifts for a nurse are "days", 7:00 am to 3:30 PM, "evenings", 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM, "nights", 11:00 PM to 7:30 AM, twelve hour day shifts, 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM, or twelve hour night shifts, 7:00 PM to 7:30 AM.
    http://www.jimfred.com/nursing/relat...o_at_work.html

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Question Re: Nursing In America and Midwifery

I have a question regarding midwifery as well. I live in California and am wodering what it takes to get into the Nurse midwifery program. I am a senior in high school, and am supposed to be choosing a college to attend. Due to my financial situation I will most likely be attending a community college for the first two years, where I will finish my pre-requisites. Does anyone suggest this? Does anyone have advice on what the best path to take is?
    Thank you!
    -Renae

Quote Originally Posted by johnso5r View Post
    I have a question regarding midwifery as well. I live in California and am wodering what it takes to get into the Nurse midwifery program. I am a senior in high school, and am supposed to be choosing a college to attend. Due to my financial situation I will most likely be attending a community college for the first two years, where I will finish my pre-requisites. Does anyone suggest this? Does anyone have advice on what the best path to take is?
    Thank you!
    -Renae
    I'm currently reading The Baby Catcher for my OB clinical and my theory instructor is a Nurse Midwife. From the sounds of it I believe it is similar to a NP program.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.