Thread: Anyone ever get depositioned?

Exclamation Anyone ever get depositioned?

Hi,
    I received a letter from a law firm a few months back regarding a patient at a hospital I worked at a few years back. This incident happened in 2006, and I discharged the patient home, I guess she had complications when she went home. I don't remember hardly anything about this patient or what happened.
    The lawyer that is representing the hospital says that he's my lawyer and I'm not named in the suit, but that because my name is in the chart they need to follow up with me.
    They are looking to get a deposition from me at the end of October. I used to have insurance for malpractice but I dropped it. I really can't afford to get a lawyer. Anyone know what I should do or what to expect??
    Thanks!!!
    A.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Red face Re: Anyone ever get depositioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Alk1227 View Post
    Hi,
    I received a letter from a law firm a few months back regarding a patient at a hospital I worked at a few years back. This incident happened in 2006, and I discharged the patient home, I guess she had complications when she went home. I don't remember hardly anything about this patient or what happened.
    The lawyer that is representing the hospital says that he's my lawyer and I'm not named in the suit, but that because my name is in the chart they need to follow up with me.
    They are looking to get a deposition from me at the end of October. I used to have insurance for malpractice but I dropped it. I really can't afford to get a lawyer. Anyone know what I should do or what to expect??
    Thanks!!!
    A.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of depositions. I had one a while back r/t a case that was 4 years old. I didn't remember anything about it and on the adivce of the attorney I referred all the questions back to charting I had done. Talk to the attorney that is handeling the hospital's case. If you had malpractice insurance at the time. You should be covered for anthing that happened during that time. Keep all answers to Yes/Know don't elaborate or give opinions. Asssuming you did good complete charting if you keep referring them back to it you will be fine. You may want to consult with a lawyer to see if you need private representation. Often peopel who can't afford a lawyer also can't afford not to have one! Catch 22

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Red face Re: Anyone ever get depositioned?

I was advised by my attorney to answer as close to yes, no, I do not remember, as possible, and nothing more. It might be wise to scrape up the money or get a loan to have representation. If the hospital lawyer will be representing you, then you need to meet with him at least one time before the deposition.

Re: Anyone ever get depositioned?

I was deposed once and it did not bother me. My nurse notes said it all and the lawyer for our facility just had to get the facts.
    All the other nurses were fine with it too.
    Just do the best you can.

Re: Anyone ever get depositioned?

I was dispostioned once too, It never went anywhere, the clinic's lawyers handled it and I never heard a thing about it. From what I understand, they took my and the MDs notes and all was fine