Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refusing to work with MRSA, C Diff etc.

Refusing to work with MRSA, C Diff etc.

I am a CNA and work with some residents who have MRSA and C Diff. I clean them on a regular basis. There are a couple of nurses who refuse to go in their room. They will say "I'll tell the nurse on the next shift to do that". Are they allowed to refuse to work with certain residents? I am just curious. I work with everyone, take precautions, even though I have an infant at home and worry about her health. Also, I am wondering just how contagious that MRSA is. Do healthcare workers ever become infected with it?

Re: Refusing to work with MRSA, C Diff etc.

Hi,

MRSA is a potent bug. It's usually the facilitys policy to use universal precautions. And of course, wash your hands. Hard to believe that nurses just refuse to care for these patients. Sure wouldn't want anyone I love staying there. As far as C Diff. it's the same U. P. People with compromised immune systems are more susceptible as in all illnesses with these people. MRSA is gaining strength in recent years though. Only a few years ago you only heard of it being in hospitals and nursing homes, now people in the community get it due to the germ becoming stronger or more virulent. I'd cover up any opening to the skin you may have as well.

sunnie

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

MRSA is a tuough bug as is C. Diff but once a nurse has accepted an assignment they must care for that patient. When I was in nursing school and pregnant I had a patient that had MRSA. I "wondered" to the infection control nurse if my baby/pregnacy would be a risk from working with this patient. I was told if I felt uncomfortable I coould get a different assignment.

The fact of the matter is that the CDC estimates that MRSA is now a community based infection and is everywhere. IF 100 people were taken randomly off the street and cultured 15 of them would most likely be positive for MRSA. So as I see it - working in a hospital with patients who you know have it as opposed to coming in contact with it in the community where people don't take precautions to protect themselves and others is less dangerous.

Just my humble opinion.

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    MRSA is a tuough bug as is C. Diff but once a nurse has accepted an assignment they must care for that patient. When I was in nursing school and pregnant I had a patient that had MRSA. I "wondered" to the infection control nurse if my baby/pregnacy would be a risk from working with this patient. I was told if I felt uncomfortable I coould get a different assignment.

The fact of the matter is that the CDC estimates that MRSA is now a community based infection and is everywhere. IF 100 people were taken randomly off the street and cultured 15 of them would most likely be positive for MRSA. So as I see it - working in a hospital with patients who you know have it as opposed to coming in contact with it in the community where people don't take precautions to protect themselves and others is less dangerous.

Just my humble opinion.

Hppy
    I can speak from personal experience on ORSA/MRSA. I am a nursing student, 3rd year and during clinical a few months ago, I contracted MRSA from a patient onto my scalp and got a golf ball sized abscess that eventually ended up with me in the ER on powerful antibiotics and medications. I also was on antibiotics for about a month, because I continued to get soft tissue infections in my ear. Now I have some anxiety about working with MRSA/ORSA patients, but I just wash my hands all the time, and am very conscious of what I am touching.

Although, I am sure there are some hospital policies where for employee safety, nurses with low immunity are allowed some exceptions, at least I should hope so.

Another hazard of our profession, just like rocket-mortars. Use universal/standard precautions I provide nursing/healthcare to ALL, period.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

The over-use of ABT has led us to this sorry state. Right now, my hands are a complete mess, and if I were to use alcohol based gel, you'd hear me clear the heck in 'The Sand Box'.

What about those with weakened immune systems? Any feedback re: other facilities' policies?

That is just an excuse to get out of doing patient care and have you do it all. They make the money and get better benefits than you. In all reality the cna should not be the one allowed in their. It should be restricted to the nurses. They are licensed.

LOL, who is making the excuse now, CNA?

Healthcare is a team effort... get in that room and take care of your patient, ALL staff.

Frankly, it's everyone's job. No matter who the patient is, or what their DX is, they deserve good care. I know I was a crank when I was stuck in the hospital for 2 days. I apologized!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Refusing to work with MRSA, C Diff etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    The over-use of ABT has led us to this sorry state. Right now, my hands are a complete mess, and if I were to use alcohol based gel, you'd hear me clear the heck in 'The Sand Box'.

What about those with weakened immune systems? Any feedback re: other facilities' policies?
    For a number of years I was unable to use the waterless hand cleaner (WHC)- due to the high probably of it causing a positive drug test. I gradually went back to plain old soap and water and good standard practice of universal precautions.

Recently I was at a field trip with my son - they had been petting dolphins and touching all sorts of strange animals - When it was time to eat everybody broke out the WHC, but I was the only one who took my child to the bathroom for a good wash. I personally think WHC and ABT lull people into a false since of security and encourage laziness when it comes to good hand washing.

PS - I have never turned down an assignmentr due to a patient being contagious - and a number of the people I care for now are Hep - B carriers and I have never contracted anything.

Peace

Hppygr8ful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast