Thread: 16+ hour shift...

16+ hour shift...

Hello all! This is my first post. This is only my 2nd travel assignment; I need advice to see if this is normal. At my hospital in California call in the operating room is mandatory, which is fine but they schedule my call after my 8 hour shift so I end up working 16+ hours. My shift in the operating room is from 2:45pm-11:15pm (30 minute lunch break). I was on call after that from 11:00pm-7:00am that night. Unfortunately, 2 traumas came in and I was working non-stop from 11pm-7am. Since the OR is not staffed at night and only has the one call team there was no one to give the tech and I a break. I am probably very naive, but is this normal for traveling? It seems unsafe to work that long without a break. I know I shouldn't complain about my job with this economy but I guess it was a really long night and I am very frustrated. Any advice is always appreciated! :rolleyes:

Re: 16+ hour shift...

I've heard alot of OR and PACU nurses work long hours. Not fun but hopefully you will only be on call weekly. Make sure other staff are on call like you were..Travel can be tough because often we have this ideal that jobs will be like the ones we initially trained and work after graduation.... NOT SO..
    Some are so horrible and unsafe nurses leave. You can talk to your nurse liason at your company to get some support.
    I worked a job of 12 hour med surg on a travel job and for 8weeks never got a break or lunch so I spoke to the charge rn and my company and guess what.... NO ONE CARED... So I decided the last 4 weeks to take breaks and lunch..... gave report to charge rn and went to lunch...:nurse-butt: