Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men in Nursing

Re: Men in Nursing

hello everybody mdj1320 here as a future male nurse.doing my prereqs now .work now as an electrician have been for 6 years.till economy went downhill spent 1.5 years unemployed.mom was nurse and said i would be good at it.so i'm giving it a shot.

good luck man, you'll do fine-just have to fight through a few things...and you'll make it if you just stick with it.

I am a (male)nurse and love my med/surg job. I have been a nurse for seven years and a cna before that. I have only ran into one person that didn't think men should be in nursing, she retired about 2 years later with 43 continuous years under her belt. I feel that we add a sort of camaraderie that you don't see on a female only unit alot of the time, but sometimes I DO feel like the local CRANE... (can you help me lift the pt in 9b) but I dont mind, I can use the exercise hehe (i have dunlap disease; my stomach dunlap over my belt buckle!) I have been told by many patients that I am a very caring and compassionate person and a good nurse. Now if i can get the wife to believe the caring and compassionate part, i would have it made in the shade!

glad you're here hitech

Good luck. Most of the males I know chose nursing as a second career, like yourself. They are smart, dedicated and some of the best nurses I have had the pleasure to work with. They know how to function in the real world and don't burn out as easily as younger grads do. Lord knows we need the help. They also don't play the stupid games women tend to play..thank goodness!
    My significant other is a male nurse and I've discovered that you run into some problems the females don't...but it's a great profession...good luck again! If we can help...let us know!

I'm sure you're kidding about your wife! The male nurses I know are some of the best guys in the world! True your'e physically stronger than those of us who are females...but as a whole I find male nurses some of the most caring, compassionalte, passionate and sensitive men I've ever had the pleasure to meet.
    Thanks for being here!

I try to steer clear of the little old ladies who actually want the man to do their baths . There are some perverted old ladies out there I tell ya!

I hear that one shortbus! My first semester clinicals were in a nursing home, and I figured out pretty quickly why they put us there: old people have NO SHAME! Those folks will tell you and show you stuff that blows a new student's mind. Whew! Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I could've convinced them I wasn't their doctor...

yeah, my first day at this nursing home, I heard some funny things. The first was from this 80some year old lady who said, "He's got a TIGHT butt".

Then this one lady said to one of the aides, "have you seen that new doctor (referring to me)? He's a real [censored]!"

Now that women, for the first time outnumber men applying to med school, and women soon will outnumber men in being admitted to and in graduating as doctors, dont you think that the attitudes of male nurses will then change? In the future, if trends continue, the majority of doctors will be female.

The old "stereotype" of doctors being male, and nurses being female, will no longer exist after females start making up the majority of med school graduates, and the majority of new doctors are female.

I would think/my opinion that once the public gets used to seeing most doctors as being female, that opinions of nurses will be affected as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12