Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men in Nursing

Men in Nursing

what are your thought on men is nursing???

i personally have alot of respect for men who choose nursing as a career. i think it takes alot of hard work and alot of people think just because someones a male in nursing that he has to be a homosexual. they don't think that men could have the same passion women do and i don't believe that. i think people can be very closed-minded and i'd just like to say thanks to all those men out there who actually stuck with it even though people can be that way. You guys are very important and special people ...i mean you can do all the heavy lifting for me now. hahaha j/k. thanks.

Re: Men in Nursing

Hi Baby_Nurse,

Thanks for posting to the newest section of the forum, and I'm glad to see that one of my female comrads is actually the first to post here. I have been real busy getting my website ready for some really awesome upgrades.

Being a man does not mean that you are incapable of compassionate care. Being a male nurse does not necessarily mean that you are gay. I am not gay, and truthfully, don't really know that many male nurses that are. The gays that I do know are superb nurses.

Many other stereotypes exist as well. Many of my older patients either think that I am a doctor or that I am somehow going to become one soon. Still others in our society somehow think that male nurses are perverts.

These negative attitudes have not discouraged me, but they do give me cause for concern.

Nursing is my life and my passion. It has made me a better husband, a better father and indeed a better man.

TracyR
    www.nurseserver.com
    www.nursinginamerica.com
    www.gotravelamerica.com

Tracy, I have to give you a hard time. "The gays that I do know..."

you meant guys right

Excellent addition to the site, Aaron! I am very glad to have men in nursing. It is a refreshing change. I have seen one male nurse treated poorly and that was just last year. I've been around for 26yrs. I thought he was an excellent nurse and a wonderful guy. He got rewarded in that the Orthopaedic group at our hospital hired him. YEA!!!! Now he doesn't have to take the crap that he was served daily. I don't think is was his sex because they treated everyone like crap. The new folks that is. I look forward to reading this section Tracy. Glad to have you on board!

It's funny, but I grew up not knowing that being a nurse was odd for a man until I was older. My parents are both nurses. So am I for that matter, and an extended family member who lives next door. (Better not sneeze on my block). I'm an LPN working on my RN, and planning on a bachelor's, dreaming of a master's. Life can be so complicated! But my fellow guys and I do get some odd looks from parents, kids, elderly, etc. when we say we're nurses. I think it's cool, changing perceptions and all. Whenever someone asks me if I'm going to be a male nurse I tell them "No, I'll treat female patients too". Stumps them for a minute, then they usually get it. I just want to encourage more men to join the team. I'm the only male nurse at my workplace (LTCF), and I feel really accepted (I'm also the baby at 24). I like working with women, although men do bring something different to the job (aside from heavy lifting abilities) and that's good. I think it makes the profession richer. After all, you wouldn't paint a picture with just one color, would you?

Hey Generation2,

Glad to have you on the forum. Sounds like you and I have a lot in common.

Way to say it my brother-man! In the 10 years that I've worked in the O.R.(as an orderly and then anesthesia tech.), the most common question has been, "So, are you gonna go to med school?". Why would I want to be a doc, when every doc I know hates his/her job? I am in my first year of nursing school and look forward to the day that I can put "RN" at the end of my name.

When I decided to go into nursing everyone looked at me funny and said "why"? My answer then was because I like a challenge. My answer today is close to the same, "I love a challange" I have the respect of my peers and my supervisors, and the love of my patients.

My wife even thinks it has changed me for the better. I am a retired NCO from the USAF after 20 years of "yes sir and you will" and even I can see the difference. I only hope that I can continue to spreadthat difference to my children and patients.

I have been a nurse for 18 years... Best thing I ever did. I have went from male orderly to CNO...

hi All!

I am a male nurse in Singapore, i must say i always thought such society views on male nurses are only relevant in asian countries. But i am wrong, i live in Singapore and over here society at large still does not accept male nurses taking care of female patients. However, only ICU male nurses are the few who can nurse female patients as the criteria for taking critically ill cases relies on the experience of the nurse on duty. Having said this, one has to be tactful, cos the family members are not that agreeable at times. Guys like me have to get a female chapron to come along whenever we need to screen a female patient for any procedures.
    I have to say once i even had an old lady who didn't mind me bringing her for shower bath! My friends and boss almost fainted when we saw the smile she had. Some even thought she was senile!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast