Thread: Contemplating whether I should study nursing

Red face Contemplating whether I should study nursing

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a 22 yrs old college junior majoring in Accounting at a 4-yr university. I've been contemplating whether I should change my major to nursing since I think it's a more rewarding career and I love working with people. I'm working part time right now as an Account Payable clerk and I'm not too happy with it. The work is very tedious and I feel secluded behind my cubicle. There is also a lot of bureaucracy!

I've always liked helping other people because I was once a really sick patient and without nurses/doctors I don't think I would be here today. I had kidneys failure due to a genetic disease when I was only 16 and luckily I received a cadaver transplant about 3 years ago. Before my transplant I was on dialysis for over 3 years and during that period I'd met many kind nurses and doctors. I feel that with my past experience I could really relate to other patients and become a good nurse. I kind of want to be a kidney transplant coordinator...

I don't know if I should make the move now since my GPA is only 3.0 and the nursing program at my university is already impacted. Most universities here in Northern CA are the same. Also, I only have 3 more semesters to go to receive my degree in Accounting so I don't know if it worths it to change my major right now. I figured out that if I want to change to nursing it would take me at least 8 semesters (4 yrs) to get my BSN. (I still need to take prereqs) I could go to a community college to get an Associate degree instead but will the BSN more valuable?

My questions is should I change my major to nursing now or do it after I finish my degree in accounting? Secondly, where do I go once I become a nurse? Can I choose to apply to any hospital? What will I do as a RN in my first year? Will I be rotated from one department to another or can I choose to stick to one place? (I really prefer working with pediatrics at bedsides) Finally, I'm a bit afraid of the sight of blood so will I overcome it after awhile? I once had a Foley tube put in my body and I don't know if I could do it to a patient. Is nursing a suitable career for me??? I really love the pediatric hospital I went to (Lucile Pacard Children Hospital in Stanford) and would really love to be part of "the team".

Can anyone here gives me some guidances since I'm totally lost... I'm really depressed right now and I could really use some good advices.

-Thanks,
    Vince

change major

Some of your accounting 100 level classes should transfer. You need to talk to someone at your school to see.
    My advice for what it is worth is the same as my husband gave me. He told me to get my CNA first to see if hospital life was for me.
    I am in ND and we had to get the BSN as entry level into nursing. My son switched his major 3 times but is now doing a job he loves. Not always does a freshman in college really know what they want to do.
    If you think you want to become a nurse do you know one that could help you with the questions you have? Try going to the transplant unit you were on. Or keep asking questions on the board.
    All I can say is I was afraid of blood, wasnt sure if I could do it, went back to school at age 36 for the BSN and absolutely love my job. Nursing is a career that if you dont like one part there are so many areas you can try. I like adult med surg ICU or even Long term. Others love Peds. You can do anything you are interested in and you are young enough to try.
    Svanna

Re: Contemplating whether I should study nursing

Vince,

I am a 41 year old nursing major. I have a BBA in Finance & Management. I also have a Master's in another field, that inabled me to work in the healthcare setting where I learned that I wanted to be a nurse. I would like to encourage you to look at your options very carefully. I think it would be wonderful for you to become a nurse; your experience as a patient will certainly help you relate to the clients and their families. As I read you post I think you need to evaluate:

1. Can you work in a hospital because of your transplant? Do you take immuniosuppression medications? You might talk with your doctor to see if healthcare is an even an option.

2. Take a quick certification as a nurse aid and work some in the field while the role of the nurse and the aid are different you will learn what is involve on the working side of a hospital / healthcare setting.

3. Evaluate your education opportunities. You are young, and a BSN is preferred, but to get out and start earning income you might want to get your ADN so you can get your RN then complete to your BSN or even MSN. Or if the schools have a long waiting list to get into nursing school, continue to complete your BBA and start taking your nursing prereques along with them. Talk to the schools find out what your options are. Because I have a BBA, and was leaving full-time work, I have opted for an ADN to get back to the work force and then will complete to at least a BSN. I live in Amarillo, TX the hospitals here don't make a distinction in education. My wife is a BSN and she makes $0.13 and hour more than an ADN nurse with the same amoutn experience, but in other places we have lived the same would not hold true.

There are other considerations, but maybe that gives you some ideas. Nursing has many opportunities to do many kinds of things. Discover if you like the work side of healthcare then go for it, many people who have thought they wanted to work in healthcare because of their experience discover the working side of things not what they expect. Discover your passion -- life is too short to spend the time doing something you don't find rewarding.

Good Luck
    Rob Flippin
    rob@flippinfamily.org

Re: Contemplating whether I should study nursing

Thank you Roboflip and Svanna! You've offered me some really good advices.
    Roboflip, I do take immunosuppressant drugs and that maybe an issue here because my immune system is relatively weak to fight off diseases. I'm going to have to ask my doctor on that and do some more research. I plan to volunteer at the hospital in summer to see if I like it. As for now, I think I'm going to stick to my degree in Accounting and will get an Associate degree in nursing later on if I intend to become a nurse.

Again thank you for your great suggestions and may you have a healthy and happy life.

-Vince