Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Put male nurses in panties!?

Re: Put male nurses in panties!?

Sorry Tracy...my misunderstanding.

Maybe Susan is being unrealistic with her letter and opinion that all male nurses should be "feminized". Some male nurses, however, are quite feminine in appearance and dress accordingly, including one particularly sweet boy who works the night shift at the hospital where I work. He's just out of nursing school and there's no denying his openly displayed femininity. I'm talking girlish hairstyle, plucked eyebrows, pierced ears, shaved legs, and of course, ladies uniform tops and bottoms and the most adorable visible panty and pantyhose lines on the floor. He is totally heterosexual and is currently dating a friend of mine who adores his feminine expression and thinks he's just the kindest and most gentle and most thoughtful boy she's ever met. Certainly, this sort of feminine expression is not for most male nurses, but if the shoe
    (or dress) fits - I'd say - he should wear it.

There certainly are some different opinions about men in nursing...but you know what they say about opinions. As for the young fellow you mentioned...

"I'm talking girlish hairstyle, plucked eyebrows, pierced ears, shaved legs, and of course, ladies uniform tops and bottoms and the most adorable visible panty and pantyhose lines on the floor. He is totally heterosexual and is currently dating a friend of mine who adores his feminine expression and thinks he's just the kindest and most gentle and most thoughtful boy she's ever met."

...Hey, whatever floats his boat! But let me ask you one or two questions: How does his extreme and open display of femininity affect the "opinions" , and even moreso, acceptance by his peers and his patients? Does this behavior border on the lines of cross-dressing? And is cross-dressing in the workplace acceptable? Professional?

I've got an idea...see if you can get this young fellow to join us here at the forum, and let's get some open lines of communication going, OK?

Great idea Tracy.

I don't think that will happen. I DO think, that this poster is either A) the person who wrote the article; B) just trying to get a rise out of the forum.

I just can't believe the scenario. If it's true, then the nurse has some very serious pyschological issues that he should address in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
    and the most adorable visible panty and pantyhose lines on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

that part right there is what strikes me. Since when did that become adorable on anyone, especially a man?

Wear panties? I'd sooner sit on a bear trap! This article is way off the mark. I wear scrubs, a beard and all the chest hair I have to show off. Why? I am a man, and these things are natural. Why would a patient think that I am less nurturing. My father (also a big, hairy nurse) is a very compassionate, tender, appropriate male role model. If it is expected of both sexes to be caring and nurturing with their offspring (which is the current social norm), then why wouldn't a man be suited for nursing? My elderly patients appreciate my honesty and support, and my pediatric patients often cling to me in lieu of a male caregiver/role model. What I am saying is this: I will not make apologies for being me. I am not a woman. I am not gay. I am not even effeminate. I am a man who enjoys his job, who provides valuable qualities and insight to his profession, and who is separate from, but equal to his female counterparts in the level of care he provides.

I thought this article required a response for one simple reason...it is absurd!!! I am a male nurse, quite hairy and also quite homosexual. I have never and will never wear a woman's clothing or underwear. I would expand that to say ESPECIALLY ON THE JOB. I am a very professional, caring and efficient nurse, I do not feel that my masculinity or feminity plays a role in good patient care. I also dare any employer in the US to attempt to dictate what sort of underwear I should wear. My hospital recently dropped strict dress codes in critical care areas and we are now allowed to wear any color scrub type uniform, or any surgical scrub uniform. We are also allowed any traditional nursing uniform. I can tell you that there are women who work with me that wear the traditional white uniform and the care their patients receive is no where near the quality that I offer. The moral of the story: the uniform does not make the nurse.

welcome to the forum NOLAnurse. Good post!

Thanks for the laugh! I never really thought about the male nurses uniforms, much less, what they were wearing under them! Now, I just can't wait. The next male nurse I see I plan on checking him uniform out and guessing what type of undies he has on!

Gayla

This is indeed just too ridiculous. I supose the author would like to see starched uniforms and caps again, in spite of the fact that those caps were horendous infection vectors. Well hey, let's all stop hand washing, we all know how useless that is, and while we are at it screw taking vital signs too.
    What is the world coming to when someone like this can get published?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast