Thread: Looking to move to Arizona!

Question Looking to move to Arizona!

Hi!
    I am seriously thinking of moving to AZ in March or April. We moved to PA 3 months ago for my husband's job, but he recently got laid off. We're tired of cold and snow (always lived in CT prior to PA). There is a lot of news about the population boom in AZ, and the good reasons to live there.
    Can you Arizonians give me some advice? We would like to go the Phoenix area. Banner Healthcare has ads on Monster.com. Please tell me anything good, bad, etc. about hospitals or living in the area in general.
    This will help me so much. (I've never been there, but doing a lot of web searching and will visit in Feb. I can't wait!!)
    Thank you!!!
    JoAnn

Cool Re: Looking to move to Arizona!

****o Joann,

I just read your post. Living in the "desert" is awesome. You can garden 9 months out of the year as well as any other out door activities hiking, golfing, swiming year around.....nothing but blue sky!!!

As far as employment, I am confident that we can place you. We have contracts with most of the major players in the valley. However, I will need a profile to get started in your placement. You said you were interested in an April???? start date. That is about time seasons begin changing and travel assigments are begining. It would be a good idea to secure placement in advance if you are serious. Any questions give us a call. I look forward to talking to you and working with you in the future. Have a Great Day!!

Debra Hubbard
    Regional Director of Marketing
    Westways Staffing Services
    1-800-574-9674
    Lisa H.
    Nurse Recruiter
    Westways Staffing Services, Inc.
    (800)575-9674
    www.westwaysstaffing.com
    sdstaff@westwaysstaffing.com

Re: Looking to move to Arizona!

hey Joann I'am not a recruiter just a nurse thats worked in the valley for 12years. The Mayo Clinic is probally the only place I would reccomend for you to check out in arizona. The residential area near there Scottsdale and Fountain Hills are nice and away from the crime and pollution of the main part of the city. Banner runs about 60percent of the hospitals in the state and I hope to never have to work for them again. Use and abuse you, travelers worse than staff, but pretty bad for staff. Please consider a place like the outskirts of San Diego and work registry for 45 an hour. The 16 an hour more will more than make up for any so called perks the agency will give you. Travelers have to float as an ICU nurse tele, med-surg, or whatever is not gonna happen when I work registry. Less stress, less drama, no politics, you dont like a place you dont go back to it. Arizona is growing fast has been for 30years,if my parents didnt live here bye bye. You can email me for more specifics if you like at aperic@cox.net . Try to avoid Phoenix if you can, you would thank me after the first year big time.

Joanne, I did not remember a couple other suggestions. In the San Diego outskirts is a old but recently thriving community called Temecula,little suburds called Murrieta, and Winchester. Guidant cath company has a big plant there. Its not as cool as San Diego proper but you can afford to live there. Friends took an interest only loan on a 3brm paying 2300 a month after two years sold the house for 120,000 profit . So free rent and an extra 30 grand a year, plus the extra 30 grand you would make working registry. Phoenix has pollution alerts 27days of the month, Temecula has about 30 wineries in the neighborhood. 30 to 45min from the ocean, great parks, great food, and friendly people. A registry you can call and talk to is Allstar Staffing at 909 898-3880, they are in Corona but they serve the Temucula area, you could have a 10 to 20 min drive to work if your like, and all the time and a half you want. Just say no to........Phoenix.

Dear JoAnne,
    I live in Missouri now and am thinking of moving back to Phoenix.

I am a LPN-IV certified, and work for an inhome pediatric care agency. Most of my patients are vent and trach. I am working on my RN. I am a "desert rat", i.e. I was born in Phoenix. I lived in many parts of AZ, the "Valley"--Phoenix and Glendale and up North in Camp Verde and Prescott. You can enjoy the sun and in the winter drive up to Flaggstaff for the sun. Phoenix is a desert--water conservation may be new to you(?) and with more people it couldn't have gotten any better. The areas of "Phoenix" that the other writer wrote you about are probably better than when I last lived there--late 80's. I lived in Glendale and then it was a middle class nice area. I know people there, but am trying to figure out how to get a short term assignment-AND HOUSING to start -there this summer and access the application for Az licensure. Anyway, write me with questions, I'll try to find out resources for you. I have family who are in the real estate/mortgage industry.

Jomom,

I'm originally from PA...currently doing a travel assignment in AZ (Phoenix area). It's my first time here, got here the end of Jan. Wheather is great...no snow! The nights are cool, in the 40s but it's not the bitter cold in the north east. Days are in the 60-70s. Plenty of jobs for nurses here. I'm at a place in Sun City (outskirts of Phoenix). Can't vouch for the other hospitals, I'm sure it's like everywhere....good and bad. Plenty of places so if you don't like one you can always go somewhere else. Don't know what your spouse does so don't know about work for him.
    Housing in general is cheaper here, groceries are a little more about the same overall if you avg it out.

Also don't know about school systems.

Please Join Me. My travel company is hosting a Nurse Appreciation Dinner next week and they said I can invite any RN's that can attend. It is Thursday May 25th at the Arizona Golf Resort in Mesa, AZ. You can come between 4-9 and there will be dinner and drawing for give aways. I am working there in Arizona now, would love to see you all there! Let me know if you need more info.

One thing about living in AZ many don't know unless someone tells you -- the climate is spectacular year-around, but don't let it fool you as you can become very hydrated at any time of the year ... be sure and drink alot of water, even in the winter.
    Discount Travel / Custom Business Cards -- if I've helped you, please add to my talkupation!