Thread: What is a Nurse Entrepreneur?

What is a Nurse Entrepreneur?

Welcome to one of the newest additions to our forum. I hope you are enjoying your visit to one of the fastest growing forums on the internet.

People ask me all the time; "What in the world is a Nurse Entrepreneur?"

Well, a Nurse-Entrepreneur is a nurse who owns a business. It's as simple as that. A Nurse-Entrepreneur is a highly trained, skilled professional who has learned how to make their nursing knowledge work for them in business, ANY business!

Some of the advantages of becoming a Nurse-Entrepreneur are, among others, autonomy, independence, and unlimited income opportunities. Business-Minded Nurses, however, sometimes feel like they are all alone in their struggle to succeed as a Nurse-Entrepreneur. They have to continually build on their nursing knowledge as well as their business knowledge.

As a Nurse-Entrepreneur you are ultimately responsible for your successes as well as your failures. You must continually update your knowledge base to succeed in business and in life. Opportunities for success are all around us.

A successful Nurse-Entrepreneur is self motivated and determined, and possesses all the skills that it takes to run a successful business. Anyone that has ever succeeded in business will tell you that it takes passion to make your business a success.

So take your passion for nursing to the next level. Visit this forum often, as I will be adding new topics all the time.

Thanks, and here's to your success.

Re: What is a Nurse Entrepreneur?

The National Nurses in Business Association is the #1 association for nurses in business, established 1985. The association host seminars to teach nurses their career alternatives. Nurses can start a business with their current licenses and degrees. You do not have to be an advance practice nurse. Upcoming seminars include Chicago, Stamford, CT, Houston, and New Orleans. Visit http://www.nnba.net for all the details. You may ask me a question on the association Web site.

Hey Pat...I see you found out how to post. Tell us a little about some of the benefits of becoming a nurse entrepreneur.

Aren't there some seminars offered for nurse who think they might want to go into business for themselves, and what's covered in those seminars?

Colleen, it sounds great. BUT, all advertisements of this nature belong in the spam forum....

Hi Tracy:

Great explanation of what a nurse entrepreneur is. The special thing about nurses is that we can expand to other areas and always have our healthcare background with us. Serves as a great credibility factor with whatever we do.
    I am an Independent Representative for Excel Communications. This is what is building my retirement nest egg, since we all know nursing is not the way to do that. I enjoy my patients/families, and enjoy exploring the difficult diagnosis cases, and working with a team to solve them. Having the extra income coming in residually every month from my Excel business allows me to enjoy both worlds, with my family always taking precedence. That is my passion. You can see my site at: http://www.welcometoexcel.com/mitti

What do you do as an entrepreneur Tracy? People who think and act outside the box are intriguing. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jean Crawford, R.N.
    International Recruiter/Trainer
    Independent Representative
    Excel-Vartec Communications
    mitti@infoblvd.net

Hi, I just relocated from Alabama to Florida...looking for something I can enjoy and receive a decent income for my family...I have been in nursing (ICU, geriatrics long term care) since 1985. In 2001 I graduated with my MSN as a Family Nurse Practitioner. My first rewarding NP position was in Pain Management in Alabama...since my move to Fla. I have not found my niche. I am wondering about entrepreneur opportunities...any advice? Thanks, Fran Gilbert

I fell into a nurse consultant job a little over a year ago and I'm still going strong in that role. I work with a large chemical dependency agency in St. Paul and consult with them in issues related to state and federal regulations and clinical operations. I carefully studied all the applicable regulations and have a solid background in nursing clinical practice. I regularly meet with regulators and licensers to develop policy for agencies. Working with the Board of Nursing I've been able to develop effective nurse recruiting techniques. I've been a R.N. for 16 years and have an Associates Degree in Nursing and about 6 years of University training in one thing or another. I formed a business (sole proprietorship) to support this work.
    It's clear to me that smaller agencies often can't afford to employ people with the experise they need to keep their nurses on track and stay out of trouble with the government. Providing consultancy on these matters seems to be a niche, at least for me. I don't know why this wouldn't work for someone else, especially as these agencies are hit with significant budget cuts. I hope my experience will inspire others to get creative in their employment. I am frustrated, though, at the few resources I've been able to find to help me develop and market this business. I must be in relatively uncharted territory. Anyone have any specific resources to share?

Hi RNBob, thanks for posting to our forum. re:

[ QUOTE ]
    Working with the Board of Nursing I've been able to develop effective nurse recruiting techniques.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the following link. This firm specializes in consulting with healthcare companies. They did an onsite survey of the hospital I work in a couple of years ago using their H*Works division to implement nursing recruitment and retention strategies. You may find some consulting work with them.

http://www.advisoryboardcompany.com/public/contact.asp

Let me know what you find out.

Hi Fran
    You can email me if you want some information on working for yourself. dot@swiftliftcrane.com
    Dotty