Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb newbie questions.

Re: Dumb newbie questions.

Ok Bigger AL, I did misread the EMS was you..oops
    Anyway, Florida is hiring new grads. I've seen it on hospital web sites.....But have Sarah keep looking into it..
    .Don't give up..

BiggerAl

Update!

My girlfriend graduated in May 2014 and passed her NCLEX in July. The job market for new nurses is horrendous! She applied to hospitals all over the state, out of state and even one out of the country. As she got desperate she applied to nursing homes, hospices, etc. As of January she got ONE interview. Her classmates for the most part had the same problem. Noone wants to hire inexperienced nurses. She had a 3.87 GPA. BLS, ACLS, PALS and EKG. Even did some ride alongs with fire rescue. We had numerous friends who had "contacts" in hospitals. Some quite high up. Didn't do any good. It was frustrating.

The schools make you believe there is this huge shortage and that you will have a job as soon as you graduate. BS

The good news is that a hospital in Port Charlotte called her for an interview and hired her to a cardiac unit in February. We had to move of course. But we weren't gonna pass the opportunity. The pay is not as good as Miami, but she loves the hospital, her coworkers and her job. The cost of living is a lot lower over here as well.

So all you newbies, hang in there. It's gonna be tough at first, and VERY discouraging. But just keep trying, it'll come eventually.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Al, not sure where you and said girlfriend are located, but I have read that the State of IL will be dealing with a shortage....and soon. Maybe you both can take a look at the IL state BON?

BiggerAl
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Al, not sure where you and said girlfriend are located, but I have read that the State of IL will be dealing with a shortage....and soon. Maybe you both can take a look at the IL state BON?

Thanks. As I said, she finally got a job. We live in Florida. And there is no way we would ever move to IL. It took her 7 months to get a job though.

Too bad nurses have to be prepared to move. There is so much difference in pay and job availability depending on the state and city you're in. I've been looking around to see where I could move. As a guide, I used this site to give me an idea of pay rates so I can make a smart decision about where to move.

BiggerAl
    It's almost laughable. Before she even got a years experience, some of the very hospitals that wouldn't call her back in the beginning are asking her to come work for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12