Thread: My story: new to this forum

My story: new to this forum

I'll be spending quite a bit of time here I suppose, so I might as well introduce myself.

My name is Matthew. I'm from Louisiana.

When I graduated high school in 1995, I entered college at Nicholl's State University. My degree would have been BSN. Needless to say, I ended up flunking out, lol. It wasn't because I couldn't hack it or that I was stupid, I did what many others do: not take myself or school seriously.

I met a girl there who is now my wife, so I can't really say I regret my actions because she's the main reason I flunked out. I was spending all my time with HER instead of studying, etc.

Fast forward 10 years later. I had a few good jobs since then working as a technician for Cox Communications for 5 or 6 years, then moved on to manage an Electronics Boutique store for a few more until I was fired this past June. My wife and I had our first child in April. I am now 28 and she is 29.

Having our first baby really started me thinking. I was in the midst of frantic job-searching when I was sitting at my computer late one night (just like now) and thought to myself "why dont you just finish what you started and get the job you REALLY want?"

The next morning, I called Baton Rouge Technical College and got the ball rolling. I am scheduled to start classes January 9th. I am pursuing my LPN first so that I can get a decent job while I contiue my education. There are three guys in my class, but one didnt seem like he really wanted to be there once they told us what was going on during orientation, so we'll see if he's still there in Jan.

I am planning to finish my LPN, which will take me 15 months due to the fact that I tested out of the most basic classes. Then, I will hopefully get a job working in one of the hospitals while I enroll at Our Lady Of The Lake Medical College to get my RN. Rinse and repeat for the BSN. I eventually plan to specialize and go into family practice as an NP

Well, that's my story. I look forward to meeting other people with the same interests.

Re: My story: new to this forum

I enjoyed your story. Thanks for posting it. I went to nursing school when I was 45 and it changed my life forever........all for the better. I was glad to see that you're not "beating yourself up" over the past. You bring all of those experiences to the table, and you will find a way to incorporate them into your practice as a nurse. I wish you all the best.

I certainly appreciate the encouragement.

There was a point in my life when I regretted my actions, but then I slowly began to realize that would I not have made those decisions, I wouldn't be the happy guy I am now.

I mean, I wouldn't be married to my beautiful wife, or have the opportunity to be a father, etc. Regretting my actions in the past is an awfully hard thing to do when I stop and take a look at my life now and realize that for the most part, I'm happy with the way things have turned out, except for the fact that I don't have the career that I REALLY wanted.

So, I set out to change the ONE thing in my life that has kept me feeling 'held back'.

I think its great that more men want to be nurses. In the past, ALL nurses were men, from the middle ages until the middle of the 1800's, it was strange for a WOMAN to be a nurse.

I just was a lucrative career that allows me to help people...what better job is there?

How are you managing?

I am interested to hear how you are getting by while going to school with a baby? Going back to school for me means quiting a stable pay check on my end and survining off my wife's. Are you working while going to school?

crash, your story sounds very familiar to mine.

Graduated HS in '95, flunked out of Oklahoma State, got grades up next two semesters, went back, met my wife, had baby, she graduated. We moved and I went to LPN school.

Hopefully everything will work out well for you and we'll see you online talking about (complaining likely about being a nurse

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions or need any help.