Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God Bless Our Troops

God Bless Our Troops

Tomorrow is the USMC 204th birthday followed by Veterans Day. So, as a Marine veteran, as well as an active duty Army officer and more importantly a dad who's son is a deployed Army officer I'd like to share my thoughts on such things.

My heart goes out to those Soldiers and families involved with the tragic, needless, senseless, and horrific shooting at FT Hood. I found out this morning some of the Soldiers no longer with us were Medics processing in preparation for deployment. Without reservation we put ourselves in harms way for the sake of the mission. Our military bases are like little cities where we are understood, taken care of, and safe. Not so for those Soldiers murdered at FT Hood. Plus, the shooter was a medical officer... his duty as a Psych MD was to care for those Soldiers with troubled minds NOT to murder them for the sake of his own religious agenda. Okay enough on that before I say too much.

I'm assigned to the Dept of Combat Medic Training where we train Soldiers, young men & women up to 10 years younger than my youngest son! They may deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan ad soon as they report to first unit. I'm so proud of these young people that not only have chosen a very important specialty as medic but knowing the odds they will be put in harms way in the near future.

I'm so proud of my son deployed to Iraq. Sacrifices?!? His son will have 1st bday this January that he will miss, along with Thanksgiving and Christmas. While deployed I missed sharing two of my bdays with my wife, missed wife's bday and our wedding anniversary. Sure we volunteered for military duty. Yet, still it is a very lonely time while deployed.

Okay, I've rambled enough but please if you know someone that is a veteran or presently active duty ... walk up to them and say thanks. Okay ;-)

Re: God Bless Our Troops

Daughter of Korean Conflict Vet, 3 uncles in USN, and another in Army, and cousin to a 'jarhead' (he calls himself that...). One of those uncles survived Pearl, another died 7 months before kid born (aunt remarried.....an Army vet), and the other just recently passed. Not too shabby, eh?

suebird3, and I appreciate each & everyone of them for their military service.

BTW, kudos to the NFL for using the entire week to thank veterans & present on military service.

However, I consider myself an American Soldier rather than an American Hero as the NFL suggest. :-D

One of the slain soldiers at Ft. Hood is being waked today at a funeral home close by me. I know the funeral home pretty well, as many of my family have been 'viewed' there in the past.

Let us remember these people always.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Here's the article, 'Bird: Soldier killed at Ft. Hood remembered in Joliet :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State

An orderly formation of about 200 motorcycles lined the street outside Fred C. Dames Funeral Home in Joliet as mourners arrived to say goodbye to U.S. Army Pfc. Michael Pearson.

Pearson, 22, of Bolingbrook, was one of 13 people — and one of three from the Chicago area — killed in a mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas earlier this month.

Many of the leather-clad bikers assembled outside the funeral home were Patriot Guard Riders, a group that often attends the funerals of military personnel. But others, like Steve DuBose, decided to come pay their respects after word spread about Pearson’s funeral.

“A lot of us felt there had been too much emphasis on the shooter. . . . that it fell off the soldiers who lost their lives,” said DuBose, of South Holland. “I felt it was important to come show my support.”

The colorful scene outside contrasted with the simple yet emotional funeral service held inside for a young man described by his loved ones as a gifted musician, a dependable friend and a dedicated soldier.

The service, attended by more than 250 people, began with a Jimi Hendrix version of the Star Spangled Banner on electric guitar — a fitting tribute to Pearson, who idolized Hendrix and loved to play guitar.

Kristopher Craig, Pearson’s brother and a member of the Illinois Army National Guard, described the Nov. 5 shooting as the moment “all of our lives were shattered.

“We grieve our loss, but gather today to honor and celebrate his life,” Craig said. “I thank God I had him in my life for 22 years.”

Gov. Pat Quinn called Pearson “an oak of righteousness” who loved his country more than himself.

“God didn’t give him a long chronological life, but he certainly gave Michael Pearson a purposeful life, a life of service and joy and helping others,” Quinn said.

Army Staff Sgt. David Phillip, who recruited Pearson, said he was “one of those rare applicants who was ready to join the Army from day one.”
    “He was a good all-around person, and he had a great heart,” Phillip said before the funeral.

Pearson had been learning how to dismantle explosives — a skill he planned to use during his first overseas deployment next year.

Bolingbrook Mayor Roger Claar said a $1,000 music scholarship would be awarded in Pearson’s honor next spring at Bolingbrook High School. A bronze memorial to Pearson would also be erected in front of the village hall, Claar said.

In addition, Pearson was posthumously awarded the Army Commendation Medal and the Good Conduct Medal at the funeral.

Pearson’s white, flag-draped coffin was taken to Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood. He was buried with full military honors.

Pearson is also survived by his parents, Sheryll and Jeff Pearson; another brother, Jason Craig; and a sister, Julie Craig.

Thanks for the article. May all our fallen Soldiers rest in peace.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    Thanks for the article. May all our fallen Soldiers rest in peace.
    It takes a very special person to put themselves in harms way so that others can enjoy freedom. I just read that President Obama has stated that those injured and slain at FT. Hood will not be getting Purple Hearts because they were not considered to be in combat.

Well you and your son and all brave soldiers out there have my deepest respect.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Hppy, no matter one's feelings on our Overseas Contengency Opetations (no longer termed GWOT) the support given to our troops is greatly appreciated.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    It takes a very special person to put themselves in harms way so that others can enjoy freedom. I just read that President Obama has stated that those injured and slain at FT. Hood will not be getting Purple Hearts because they were not considered to be in combat.
    I hope more people will remember this in 3 years....... I consider the thing combat, regardless. :nurse-soapbox:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast