Thread: Florida Travel?

Question Florida Travel?

Have been considering travel nursing for years. I think this year may be the one. Am considering traveling to Florida. Am trying to do my homework so as to be as informed as possible, but the more I research, the more discouraging news I uncover.

Which agency? There is the top 10 list, yes, but it seems that for every good company, there are also bad reviews to be found - and vice versa. Not sure if this is the work of saboteurs from other companies, recruiters, or what but I have to tell you, it can really make a nurse re-think taking this big leap into unknown and uncertain territory. It's hard enough not knowing what you're getting yourself into, but not knowing who you can trust, who's for real, and who's a wolf in disguise is very frustrating.

I know I need to find a good agency and hopefully this agency offers positions in the field/area I am searching for. Also need to find a good recruiter. Well, still not quite sure how to go about that one. The person offering up the info may very well be a recruiter. Sigh. I'll keep researching but can't help feeling as though I'm just going to have to take a blind leap of faith and hope everything works out for the best.

Get everything in writing - got that one but sounds like even that's no guarantee.

Not sure what I'm asking for here, but if anyone's interested, I'm looking for a position/"good" agency/"good" recruiter/"good" hospital in southern Florida. My specialty (and the position I am seeking) is in the OR where I have worked for over 8 years. I am a 34 year old female. Florida is the only other state I have a license in currently and I am hoping to go for the winter.

I've also read how horrible the hospitals treat their nurses down in Florida (with 1 or 2 exceptions)... another discouraging discovery. Does anyone have a good Florida travel experience to share? I could really use one right about now. :6:

Also, anyone know what is the current pay rate for Florida nurses? I'd like to not get taken advantage of.

Thank you in advance. :-)

Kat

Re: Florida Travel?

Try RN NETWORK CLINICAL ONE AND NURSES IN PARTNERSHIP Private messge me for my recruiters.
    Check the website job postings and see what looks good/
    Florida can be a tricky place to work but I think alot of states have the same problem. you just have to fine the good places.

Kat440,
    My advice is to SKIP the recruiter. What do you need them for? You are perfectly capable of calling some hospitals in Florida yourself. Believe me, they will be THRILLED not to have to go through a recruiter. No hospitals enjoy using recruiters. They do it out of necessity.

Here's what I do: read the recruiter advertisings and figure out which areas they are talking about. Start calling hospitals in those areas.

Also ask for $10 - $15 per hour on more than whatever the recruiters are offering. This is the "cut" they take for your work. Most hospitals are fine paying it. Remember, their HOPE is that you will stay permenantly. If you do, and they got your through a recruiter, they'll have to pay the recruiter an additional $10k.

And don't forget a housing stipend, daily per diem & travel. YOU DO NOT NEED A RECRUITER. Ask for everything, accept whatever is acceptable to you.

Also, be smart and start an LLC. The hospital will 1099 your LLC. Then, you pay yourself a salary of about 1/2 of what your LLC makes. This way you only pay employment tax (15.3% Medicare/SS) on 1/2 the money. You have to pay income tax on it all, but save yourself quite a bit of dough!

Good luck!

All states have good hospitals and lousy ones. In Florida I had 2 great jobs and 1 lousy job and 1 that got cancelled due to low census....
    Anyway, I want to go to Fl too but jobs for me don't start until Jan. I might try to check out Seasonal Jobs, where you work for the hospital and get a housing stipend and they pay you..
    I did PM you with some recruiters.

Interesting concept Ljo. Never would have thought of something like that. You say to ask for $10-15 more than what a recruiter would pay and the hospital will pay it? Hm.

Thanks,
    Kat

Thanks Kdog. Will check that out. :-)