Thread: just a guy looking for input

just a guy looking for input

I am a 28 year old guy that needs a new profession and have always liked the idea of helping people. so I decided to look into becoming a registered nurse. I have know prior experiance in the health care industry and I am going to have to start at the very bottom,but thats not really what bothers me. its the fact that I am a male entering what alot of people consider a female proffesion.I have no problem working with or for women but I just hope the environment doesnt have anything against me for trying.if anybody could give me some advice I would really appreciate any comments

Re: just a guy looking for input

don't worry about it man, in my opinion, you'll have an advantage. I'm male, as are many of the posters on here. Good luck, and come back often to keep us updated.

My friend, you could find worse things to do with your life. I am proud to tell people that I am a nurse, and frankly, I don't care what some outsiders may say.

The fact is, becoming a nurse was one of the most sound decisions I've ever made in my adult life. It has made me a better husband, a better father, and I personally think it has made me a better man.

As a nurse, you get a rare chance, one that so few men get, to exercise compassion and caring for people that are in need of it. So go for it, bro!

I am the only male my 1st semester class (39 female students) of my BSN program and am older than you. (Wish I was your age again--oh, well.) Go for the grades and apply. So many avenues in nursing from which to choose. Just start.

I am just a female nurse who has been practicing in many different areas for about 15 years now. I have seen many men in nursing. I have seen sexual harrasment from women to men. I offered as charge nurse to try and do something about it but he preferred not to, believing something would only make it worse. I have worked with many men in my career and welcome any caring concientious nurse to work along beside me. I had a male Master level nurse as an instructor who admitted to the class when questioned that he felt he had more breaks in Nursing because he was a male. Hmmm isn't that interesting? Do females naturally feel a man needs advanced over females even in a primarily female world. Just a thought I continue to ponder on....

I want to thank every one for the advice, I just hope that the people that I work with will be just as nice.I have alot of work before I get to that point but its just nice to have a little reassurance. Thanks again