Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Having a tough time...

Re: Having a tough time...

What was it that attracted you to nursing in the first place? Maybe if you can figure out what got you into this, you might just find the reason to keep going, no matter what. I was lucky. My first year in nursing school was great! 25% of my class were males, and our input was welcomed by the instructors and our female colleagues. I'm sorry that you don't have that fortune. Never the less, if you got into nursing because you care about people and want to learn how to care for them as a professional, then you have a reason to stay in nursing. So what do you think? Why did you get into nursing?

So Kedosto, if you are still reading these forums please tell us how it's going for you. I am also a male nursing student in my first semester.

Let us know.

Kedosto,
    Although a female myself, I felt the need to reply to your posting. I've been a nurse for 27 years...specilize in critical care and have seen just about everything there is to see.
    One of the major problems I've always felt was wrong with nursing is that the profession, (you hit the nail on the head), is mostly women...now don't get me wrong...I'm not a lesbian or dyke....I just know people. Men learn to be team players, "play well with others" etc. Females don't generally learn these skills. Please don't give up on the profession. There are so many good things about nursing. But you will have to learn to deal with this. I think that's why most males tend to gravitate toward ER critical care or advanced degrees....giving them the autonomy they need. Personally, I'm hoping the more men we draw to nursing, the better we will become.

Society in general has made "us" (people in general) the way "we" are...Nurses USED to be ONLY women and Dr's were ONLY men, but that's not the case anymore. I am in school for my RN now, after being an LPN over 11 years. I have seen more men going into nursing than ever before, and I'm sure they have a harder time getting thru it (in alot of cases). Unfortunately, cliques can be formed and some people are too involved in their cliques to give anybody else a chance right away. I think one thing that helped in the beginning of the nursing program was the instructor letting the students have a chance at the beginning of class to introduce themselves and give a brief history of family, jobs, etc. This kind of tends to break the ice and might help in your situation. I think if this can be done, opening up and letting your classmates know how awkward you feel/felt in what used to be an "all women's world", this might help the closed minded ones know that you do have feelings even though you might be an alien from a different planet!! JUST KIDDING!!!
    Keep pluggin' along and get thru it!! It'll be worth it once your done and out on you're own!!

I entered an R.N. program in 1985 after a 15 year career as a carpenter. Six other men started with me and by the third semester I was the only male left. I was determined to perservere and now am in my sixteenth year of an awesome career. Sexism not confined to men. It sounds as if you are feeling, first hand, the basic lack of understanding that exists between men and women in our society, at large. If you are sincere about becoming a nurse remember that the goal is to care for others. Are you going to let anything get in your way? I would encourage you to keep your eyes on the prize and not take what seems like rejection personally. Your fellow students are feeling at least as confused and vulnerable as you. Having survived that experience I learned to operate more self-sufficiently than I ever thought I could. You will need this self-suffiency to withstand the real unfair experiences you will encounter in your working life as a nurse and to maintain the discipline you will need to provide a professional level of care. Women have taught me valuable lessons in feeling and expressing compassion for others and my life is better for it. If you listen carefully you can learn them, too. Good Luck.

Hi-Im trying to make a decision. I worked in medical field
    24 years - Front/Back Office & Management...as well as for Hospital Adm Offices. I "dream" to become a technically staff member. I am thinking about becoming a CMA or an LPN. I like the CMA duties (as Ive done them for years in the private office, but am discouraged when I hear the rate of pay being $12/hrly to start (if THAT!?) in New Jersey. Is anyone out there a CMA in New Jersey? And, will a prospective employer consider my background and the fact that I've worked 24 years doing vitals, ekgs, suture assistance, phys therapy, etc...Thank you. Leigh

Hi,
    I became an RN in 1988, I learned very quickly that women do not think like men. They are not team oriented and truthfully just a hell of lot more vindictive than men are. The only way to become popular and get ahead is A. Be more successful that your classmates. B. Make friends with one female classmate. If your smart and have one female friend in the class, you will draw them to you. This helps in many ways IE: study groups and new aquaintances (women tend not to make friends)
    Good Luck

Alright, I'll give it to you, women do not think like men. I don't think anyone argues that, but I don't think that I've ever been an object of anyone's vindictiveness, and I think I'm pretty popular without being a straight A student. I think that giving people respect earns you respect. Admittedly I initially found the 95% female dynamic to be difficult to begin with. I think that the more friends I've made the more acceptred I've felt. I'm now the only guy in my rotation, and I feel the love. Monday was our last day, and I got about a million hugs, and then we all went out for drinks and appetizers. It was great!
    Leigh, I think that your experience would be invaluable to the nursing profession, that you would make a lot more money, and that if you pose your resumee correctly, so as to bring to light your experience, any employer would appreciate what you have to offer. Nursing school can be rough -for females as well as males, but I think it's been 100% worth it. Good luck!

Leigh,
    I think you would do better to become an LPN rather than a CMA or CNA because your talents & skills would be put to better use in that manner. If you become a CMA or CNA you will mainly spend your shifts bathing patients and getting vital signs as well as changing beds and other routine tasks.
    As an LPN you would be far more able to utilize the skills you have already as well as apply the new training you receive during your education. Once you graduate do what Generation2 suggested and be sure to highlight your experiences in your job application and you may be able to get a position in an ER where your experiences assisting with suturing could come in handy more than on a floor.
    Greg & Generation a question for you both- what are your short and long range goals for your nursing career?
    I have often found more male nurses planning to leave hands on nursing for administration as quickly as possible than found those wanting to spend a career in patient care so I'm wondering how you two think about the subject? Best wishes to you both btw-

Sara

Hey Medi,
    I'm not exactly sure to be very honest with you, but you're right, my ultimate goal is not to be a floor nurse in a hospital. I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'm applying to a couple BSN programs for next year, and when I get a little further, I'd like to pursue a master's. I think eventually I'd love to teach, but I'm not saying too many things out loud, for fear that people will hold me to them My dad's been an administrator, actually DON of a major hospital in our area. He's an RN, BSN, MBA. That dude's been through more school than I care to think about. Hope that helps.
    -Nathan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast