Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having a tough time...

Re: Having a tough time...

man, he has! That's a lot of school. Wouldn't be too bad if you were single I guess, during that time.

Don't see any way I could put myself through that now.

You gotta feel pretty good about yourself if you have that much education!

You'd have to ask him, I'm nowhere near that! Did I mention his BS in Biology? The guy's a walking encyclopedia. Good man to have on your team for Trivial Pursuit.

Your dad's pretty impressive Nathan, and just think.. he became an RN way back when a straight guy in nursing school was really rare! You have to really give him a lot of credit for that and he inspired you to go into the career too. That's way cool!

Your thoughts about future plans all sound good. One of the best things about nursing is how many opportunities and career paths exist within the field once you're an RN. Did you know you can even get a degree in Healthcare Administration online now?? That's really special because that's a way to pursue that path while not sacrificing work time.

I was getting a degree in Health Services Administration right after I got my BSN but had to stop because I would have had to do an internship semester & couldn't afford to quit my hospital job (or take a 4 month unpaid leave) to do that so I never finished that one. Your options these days are way better than mine were back then! Isn't it great?

Feeling like you don't belong or you're on the outside looking in is painful and awkward at any age. New experiences, like applying a skill for the first time (inserting ng tube, starting an IV, inserting an indwelling urinary catheter) happens throughout one's nursing career. The key to success is to not listen to the inner voices shouting your stupidity. Rather put on a smile of self assurance and do what you've been taught. Everything is awkward until experience sets in and it feels natural. When a patient asks "Have you done this before?" You can banter back "You're my first today!" It may be true but you don't have to share your heart palpitations and sweaty palms. My dad used to say "Its better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!" The cool thing for the older (new) nurse is there is the seasoning of life's experiences that brings wisdom and inspires respect.

I have been a nurse since 1974. 30 years next August. I've been a GI lab nurse at a Kaiser Permanente Hospital since 1979. It is so great to get away from bedside nursing where the acuity is so high and you're never accomplishing all you'd like to do with each patient (education, family contact, a good bath with hair wash and complete body rub!). Now I accomplish all that is required of me each shift. Its fun to have a skill unique in nursing. But with all that I enrolled Fall 2001 in my first MSN course with plans to teach ADNs. I'm doing it all on line. All the interaction with class mates/teachers has been on line. And the adjustment has stressed me to the point I became unglued. Forgetful, tearful, anxious. Maybe this is the destiny of everyone who chooses to go to nursing school. The pressure is really great. I remember being in my senior year at age 21 and threatening to switch majors. I figured Psych. was common sense and I could do that a whole lot easier than my nursing curriculum. It is really tough. Now I'm finding out there are THEORIES of nursing (we didn't have that in the '70's!) and RESEARCH UTILIZATION. I'm sorry. I started to try to encourage now I'm sounding like a real whiner. Oh well I believe the stuff of life happens to us for a reason and I plan to be stronger for it.

By the way I happened on this site because it was required of me in the class I'm taking this semester. I'm glad I did. As a future teacher your insights and shared struggles are so meaningful to me. I shed a few tears as I read your "tough time" musings. I wish you well. I know you will empathize with other newcomers in a way not understood by many.

[ QUOTE ]
    I just started in a Nursing program, and WOW am I having some mental issues. I feel like an outsider, and I feel as if the women in the class are avoiding me. I have been relegated to last one up in the lab exercises, and none of the women seem to be willing to partner with me. I have worked hard through the prerequisite courses, which were populated mostly by women, and never had feelings like this. I maintain a 3.6 GPA .

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just finishing my prereqs now, and I am one of very few males in the nursing program. What is the difference between nursing school, and in doing the prereqs?

I havent experienced any sex discrimination yet, in fact, the female nursing students in all my classes have been very helpful and invited me to join their study groups. I usually get all A's, and although occasionally a female gets a higher grade(higher A) than me, no male has beat me yet. (I do tend to gravitate to be with the A female students.)

Am I going to see a change when I enter in nursing school itself(same school, same students, but different teacher though)? why would my fellow female students treat me differently in nursing school if they welcomed me in the prereq classes?

Hey there everyone!

I just found this site and read this post and I felt compelled to respond.
    I am a guy and have been a RN for 11 years. (Whew, I cannot believe that it was that long) At any rate, when I read this post it jogged some memories that I wanted to share. I actually can remember making a conscious decision to change my major to Nursing from Accounting! (Long story)I can vividly remember feeling somewhat like an "outsider" even though there were quite a few guys in my class. I also remember feeling that many of my female colleagues were somewhat "standoffish" and believe me; I was not welcomed with open arms. I completely agree with a previous poster regarding making friends with a more "popular" member of the class and the others will follow. Way back when, I was a fitness buff and I went to gym prior to coming to class. Ironically enough, one of my classmates was an aerobics instructor at my gym. Talk about instant bonding. Long story short, we became closer and as she was such a popular classmate and later became class president, the others followed. Soon, I was the most popular guy in the class. Trust me on this one. Make friends with one of the stronger female personalities--keep your eyes and ears open and you will soon figure out who your female colleagues gravitate to. I know this sounds so high school, but it's true. Further, I have also utilized this tactic as my career has progressed.

Hang in there, you will be fine. Besides, we need more guys in Nursing.

Good Luck,

hey, my name is tom I was a carpenter,(high rise form setter), I was injured and subsequently went to nursing schooland graduated in 92. My general opinion in my school was a transition of nursing attitudes. 1. The older female nurses were a bit bitter but not all. The younger nurses were more receptive but not all. I realized that i was not tramping into the turf of a female dominated field yet a field dominated by women and the attitudes women had about prior relationships with males. I find the work emotionally draining but generally easy and time consuming. i felt swords and knifes in my aback from the jealousy others have for men. I find that people in general if not well adjusted will find a way to bring you down if you perform at a higher level than you. Instead of rambling the point in hand is not to be so submissive in school or work, nursing is not a submissive role. Be aggressive with tact you have much to offer at your age( I graduated wheen i was 32 am now 43) and roll with the punches. The most important thing is to go where your needed the most and where you feel the most comfortable. That is what I found to be a diving rod for my career path!

I think thats good advice teeboy. Thank you for your post.

Kedosto,
    I agree with mercynurse. Being female also, and in this racket for a few years (like 20) I must say that for the most part I prefer to work with male nurses. Your much less 'catty' then your female counterparts. That said, I know that I'll probably get some flack. I agree with your wife's suggestions, stay in the middle of things!! You've got alot going for you, you are willing to make it to the end. I was one of the 'older' students when I got into nursing, had similar responses. Hang in there and the best of luck, AND, I hope that some day I have the privilage of working with you!

No offense to women, but they can be so caddy!!!

I switched to nursing after working in business in mainly assistive roles (started as a secretary and moved up). Lord have mercy!!! I don't want to live without women, but sometimes I wish I could. (Oh yea...I am one of those gay nurses...I can live without them....hahaha)

Anyway, just be yourself and continue to go for it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast