Thread: New Guy for Nursing

New Guy for Nursing

Hey.

I'm really tempted to go down the nursing path. I'm a law enforcement officer, former biology teacher (have a B.S.), former part-time paramedic, and I've got the common prereqs (A&P, micro, psych, etc).

That said, I'm at a point where I want to go back and earn an RN/BSN. Yeah, I'll have to quit and go back to school in order to do this so I'm scared of not having a good job with a good salary. I'm not sure how to do this. I'm still single, and I don't have kids so this would be easier than otherwise, but it's still a bit unnerving.

Have any of you guys had to do this?

What's it like being a nursing student? Some of what I've read and heard about nursing school makes it seem very tradition-oriented and not all too progressive. Any insight on that, or how us men fit in with it?

Re: New Guy for Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasfan View Post
    Hey.

I'm really tempted to go down the nursing path. I'm a law enforcement officer, former biology teacher (have a B.S.), former part-time paramedic, and I've got the common prereqs (A&P, micro, psych, etc).

That said, I'm at a point where I want to go back and earn an RN/BSN. Yeah, I'll have to quit and go back to school in order to do this so I'm scared of not having a good job with a good salary. I'm not sure how to do this. I'm still single, and I don't have kids so this would be easier than otherwise, but it's still a bit unnerving.

What's it like being a nursing student? Some of what I've read and heard about nursing school makes it seem very tradition-oriented and not all too progressive. Any insight on that, or how us men fit in with it?
    Since your single the only mouth to feed is your own. I say that because due to being a single parent with two sons when I quit work to go to college for the first time in my mid 30's was a big challenge. I was able to survive on grants & loans while in AAS Surgical Technology [scrub tech] program. Then, when I was accepted into ADN program I worked 32 hrs/week as a scrub tech. Later, accepted into UTMB School of Nursing RN-BSN online program and worked 40 hrs/week as an RN. Keep in mind I did all this while a single parent. So, you should be able to work while going to school. Just know that sleep will not always be 8 hrs/night.

I'm not sure what you mean by tradition-oriented nursing schools? We had 5 males in a class of 40 and were pretty much treated equally in my ADN program. My RN-BSN online program involved campus time at the beginning of each semester, as well as taking a few of the exams on campus when could not take on our home computers. I don't remember the male:female ratio but males & females were treated the same in that program, too.

Good luck!

BTW, Hook'em Horns!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasfan View Post
    Hey.

Hey Ark,

Welcome to this site and to nursing. You ask very good questions. I think you will find yourself in good company. Most of us, myself included, went into nursing after working in another field. Many, like me, did it while married and raising a family. As you said, being single with no kids does make it a lot easier in fact, you are probably in the best position possible to retrain for a different career right now.

It sounds like it might be necessary for you to earn an income so look for programs that offer some flexibility. While they are the most common, not all nursing schools have traditional, classroom based programs so look around. This is where being unattached helps because you may have to relocate or work odd hours to make it all happen. I was able to work full time throughout my education.

Yes, it is intimidating to take risks, give up income to spend a lot of money on an uncertain future but from what you wrote about yourself, you've done this before and made out well in the end, right? I won't lie to you here. Even though we're in a better position than many in the workforce, hard economic times have impacted healthcare workers too. When it's all done and you look for that first nursing position it will likely take awhile for you to land it. You will be frustrated and might feel like you wasted your time but hang in there and be persistent. You will eventually get in and have that career and financial security that you were looking for. Furthermore, you will have flexibility like you may have only dreamed of; to work anywhere, any shift, any specialty, any time.

How does a man fit into nursing? He fits better now than he ever did but that has more to do with how HE feels about being a nurse than how the public does. To be happy and comfortable in this role, a man has to be secure in his self image and not have hang ups about sexuality and sensuality. There are volumes written about this subject in this thread so when you have time, read back. You will get a good feel for what's happening right now. That said, nursing is still an untraditional role for men and there may be regions across the country where it could be more challenging socially but not insurmountable.

Thanks for checking in with us. I hope some of what I wrote helps. Stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

Good luck,

R

Thumbs up Re: New Guy for Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Hey Ark,

...It sounds like it might be necessary for you to earn an income so look for programs that offer some flexibility. While they are the most common, not all nursing schools have traditional, classroom based programs so look around. This is where being unattached helps because you may have to relocate or work odd hours to make it all happen. I was able to work full time throughout my education.

Yes, it is intimidating to take risks, give up income to spend a lot of money on an uncertain future but from what you wrote about yourself, you've done this before and made out well in the end, right? I won't lie to you here. Even though we're in a better position than many in the workforce, hard economic times have impacted healthcare workers too. When it's all done and you look for that first nursing position it will likely take awhile for you to land it. You will be frustrated and might feel like you wasted your time but hang in there and be persistent. You will eventually get in and have that career and financial security that you were looking for. Furthermore, you will have flexibility like you may have only dreamed of; to work anywhere, any shift, any specialty, any time.

How does a man fit into nursing? He fits better now than he ever did but that has more to do with how HE feels about being a nurse than how the public does. To be happy and comfortable in this role, a man has to be secure in his self image and not have hang ups about sexuality and sensuality. There are volumes written about this subject in this thread so when you have time, read back. You will get a good feel for what's happening right now. That said, nursing is still an untraditional role for men and there may be regions across the country where it could be more challenging socially but not insurmountable.

Thanks for checking in with us. I hope some of what I wrote helps. Stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

Good luck,

R
    :yeahthat:
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight.

When I spoke of "tradition-oriented" I was implying things like wearing all white, pinning ceremonies, candle lighting, and such. No biggie. It just seems a bit cheesey from my side of the fence.

Yes, I've retooled for another career before and had fun doing it. I'm glad you guys have been successful and feel like I will be too as a result. Thanks again.

Oh and Woo Pig Sooiee!!

Hook 'em Horns..... geez.

The nursing white hat was pretty much an after thought many years ago. Candles? Nope, never heard of that but the pinning ceremony we did. I enjoyed the pinning ceremony, which reminded me of military activities.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    The nursing white hat was pretty much an after thought many years ago. Candles? Nope, never heard of that but the pinning ceremony we did. I enjoyed the pinning ceremony, which reminded me of military activities.
    BTW, Longhorns 21 v Baylor 0 only 2nd QTR.

Are you a Dallas Cowboys fan? Whenever they run the wildcat it is called razorback.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    Are you a Dallas Cowboys fan? Whenever they run the wildcat it is called razorback.
    Yes, isn't it cool.

The Hogs play Troy today at 6:30. I missed last week's game against South Carolina because I had to work. It was a good one too.