Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all who suffer...

Re: Welcome to all who suffer...

I am not an addict, but my daughter (age 22) is. Drugs and I mean any drug Rx'd, OTC anything! At times I hate my daughter because of all the mess she puts us through. We hae gone through the 28 days + with only a temporary recovery. She has a hard time with the 12 step program. See I am always making excuses for her! I think she will have to hit rock bottom before she does anything.

Unfortunately, rock bottom is the only thing that works for some to see what they really need.

Talking seems to help... have you been to seek help, not just for your child, but for yourself?

Don't wait for rock bottom.

I am an alcoholic male nurse. I have been in and out of the program for 3 decades. I have been clean and sober for 8 months this time and I believe that this is the direction i've searched for. I honestly believe that without direction no one will succeed in finding recovery. I have been to treatment 4 times and always came out on the "pink cloud". I have worked the steps and yet managed to hold on to some of my "stinkin, thinkin". The opportunities available to me today allow me to let GO!!!! And pursue a real life, free of cravings and the constant turmoil that seemed to be part of my daily life. I'll quit jabbering and post this. I do want to say to any one that I may be able to help, do not hesitate, reach out. the disease kills and shows no favoratism. jim

God bless you Jim... I hear ya' brother, and I'm here for you too. We all need friends to get through this thing.

Our facililty switched from AA to the Health Realization model for addictions treatment. We found that there was a significant population looking for an alternative to AA. Clients are not, however, asked to choose one over the other. During the last 8 years we have accumulated story after story of people gaining a awareness of the innate nature of health and using that insight to transform their lives from within. I have seen suffering replaced by well being time after time.
    All of our clients receive a book titled ""The Serenity Principle" by Joseph Bailey. This book provides a wonderful introduction to what I am speaking of. It's not expensive and available through the big book chains. If you you are still struggling with addictive behaviors I encourage you to check it out. Feel free to contact me if you'd like more information. Best to you....

Thanks Bob...

As I have said before... I am truly in the company of giants.

I have checked back here several times and am surprised that there are so few posts. Having worked in numerous hospitals and with so many nurses who suffer from alcoholism and addiction, it amazes me that there aren't daily posts. If it is a matter of being afraid or ashamed of your disease, don't be!!!!!
    If any one is interested, I would like to discuss seeking help. I know from experience that this is one of the hardest things to face in life. The idea that there is something out there that I can't just roll right over.
    Is this a subject that peeks an interest? jim

Hi rnjim,

I think maybe you hit the nail right on the head... fear and shame.

I too check here daily, (duh... I'm a site owner and forum administrator...), maybe those of us who are not so afraid of facing this affliction should simply start telling a few of our horror stories.

I have thankfully found peace, and am not ashamed of my drinking past. Although it is still 'one day at a time', and lately my daily stressors seem to be an absolute bitch, the peace and mental clarity of sobriety makes me thank God for all that I have been blessed with. So many people are so less fortunate, and that is enough to make a man humble.

Yes, let's talk about seeking help.

Re: RN and an addict

I surrendered my license in 1998. Thought it would be a good idea since I knew the Board would revoke it if I didn't . I wiped out the ER Demerol supply and the DEA was called in. I went to prison for 2 years. Best thing that ever happened to me. Spent 2 years alone with myself, scary thought at the time since I hated myself so much. Thirty days of treatment wasn't enough for me. Did it 3 times. I have been clean and sober for 5 1/2 years now. I got my license back Jan 2003. Life has never been so wonderful. The fog has lifted, I am at peace with myself. God is the only thing different in my life. I let him in and he did all the work. I just put one foot in front of the other following his lead. If I, the hopeless of the hopeless, can find hope anyone can. If my experience can help anyone I would love to help. God Bless, Jerrie

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast