Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, I guess I'll get it started.....

Well, I guess I\'ll get it started.....

I created this forum this evening after reading the editors response in the "Oklahoma Nurse", the official newsletter of the Oklahoma Nurses Association, to a letter to the editor from an LPN.

I may print the response but I'm currently debating it.

Re: Well, I guess I\'ll get it started.....

I recently ran a poll of nurses and their opinions of LPN to RN bridge programs. There were some very heated responses. I also published a couple of articles in one of my newsletters.

Before I post these, I'd really like to hear from some of our forum members...

Well...I'm waiting!

I have been asked by numerous LPNs about their professional development and opportunities. Currently, there are no programs, at least that I have found, that offer senior or seasoned LPNs to challenge the boards in the states where they live. That is to say, if an LPN has at least 10 or more years experience, they could sit for the boards to obtain RN licensure without additional
    class time.

The issue with LPNs transitioning to RN is as much about professional role, theory, philosphical issues as it is about "nuts and bolts" med-surg or specialty area content. LPN education and function, even after many years experience, is a restricted practice, as defined by law in state nurse practice acts.

The LPN by training and, again, scope of practice as defined by the law, is a technical/vocational practice, very different in role and philosophy than a professional nursing role, which I think is why you will not find any state that will allow an experienced LPN to take RN boards.

While we share a common set on knowledge, there are also critical differences. In upcoming issues of The No FLUFF-Zone, I will be discussing this heated and much debated topic.

Any thoughts?

As you know this discussion has been going on from many years and will continue for many more. From a person who has been an aide, LPN and now and RN, I feel that a LPN is a very important member to the team. I have worked with and depended on may LPN who knew more about hands on clinical care then I did when I first became a RN. I am like you I do wish we could all work together and remember that our gaol is to provide the best possible care to our patients and that every member of the team is important. I have worked as a LPN for many years and have worked with the RN who felt that her knowledge was superior to mine and talked down to me like I was in kindergarten, and then I have worked with LPN's who did not mind teaching me things that we might of only discussed in RN school.. I vowed that when I got out of RN school that I would not become the nurse who talked down to LPN's because there knowledge is valuable and I appreciate them..

But of course I am a RN with and Associates Degree and you know that the RN's with the higher degrees BS, etc, don't really think we are full blown nurses either. ANd have been trying to get us reclassified also.

But you know what, I AM a NURSE, a REAL NURSE, and I give my patients the best of care everyday, I still attend inservices for additional training (love the ones on-line, especially the free ones) and you know what I still care about what I am doing and what my staff thinks..

Thanks for listening...
    ::nurse:: ::nurse::

I totally agree on the, "I am a NURSE" part.

I hate that nurses get that superiority attitude. Many times it is the same nurses who complain about the doctors having that "attitude", when they themselves do the same thing to their own kind.

In my mind, that is one of the biggest issues we face as "NURSES".

I am just a student thinking of changing to nursing as my focus for school. I am wondering what the difference between RN and LPN is and how to obtain both or either. Also, I wondered if anyone could tell me what is required for each as far as school credits go and what the exact definition of each is.

I am an RN, and have never been an LPN. For the choice of which ... you only need look at the difference in pay rate. I have worked with many LPNs that I would prefer above some RNs that I have worked with. As it is with almost everything level of committment and ability to work with others as equals is the important part. I have seen many many nurses LPNs, RNs with ADNs, and RNs with BSs ... they seem to eat their young and I think this is totally disgusting and quite unecessary complelty. When I was a student RN, I was treated horrible by the RNs currently working at my clinical setting. It was then that I vowed to NEVER EVER treat anyone as a second class citizen or dummy ever!!! I have held true to this vow and will continue to ... whether that person be student, LPN, RN, or DOC ... I mean who cares? We are all people with feelings, goals, and hopefully good values. But, since I have seen way too many LPNs working harder and easier to work with than some RNs I say to them all ...... get your RN and get paid more for what you do. So, the choice of whether to go LPN or straight to RN ..... go straight to RN.
    I have always been told that the difference in schooling is that RNs are taught the background physiology, the whys and wherefores of a disease process, while the LPN is educated on the clinical side of what to do only. Remember I said, this is what I have always been told. Therefore it will not be possible to challenge the RN testing as an LPN. I went to RN school in Mobile, Alabama and in my final year there were just as many LPNS doing the fast track to RN. They only had to go for the one year ..... so, it isn't that time consuming to do it.
    Just my opinion,
    Lynn

You are right, I have worked with LPN's that are great, I taught LPN school for 10 years and feel that there are LPN's that have excellent qualities and abilities. We are all nurses and should take care of each other. If we don't stand up for each other, no one else will. Nursing is a great profession, we just need to work together to make it better

Just curious from someone who has been an LPN and an RN, how much difference is there between the jobs (besides pay) as far as responsibilities, stress, etc.?

I am an RN with a BSN. I try very hard not to talk down to anyone. I have worked with excellent nurses who had their LPN, RN Diploma, RN Associates, and RN BSN & higher. I have also worked with nurses with the above classifications who were dangerous and unsafe. My concern with LPN nurses is that LPN's in Oklahoma are expected to function as RN's. They take the same loads and deal with most of the same responsibilities (at least in the hospitals I've worked at). BUT, they don't get the same pay. The training is a lot different. From what I've seen, most experienced LPN's handle the loads but start to feel bitter about the pay scale difference. I've seen new LPN's struggle to handle the loads, the clinical skills are there but they seem to struggle more with a lot of the paperwork, legal issues and critical thinking. Whereas, the new RN's don't have as many problems with the paperwork, legal issues & critical thinking but lack the clinical skills. What's the answer? I don't know. But at my organization we try to play to each nurse's strengths and weaknesses when they are on orientation, no matter what the title. The fact of the matter is, we need nurses. So we need to all pull together to get our new nurses LPN's & RN's competent to provide safe quality patient care.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast