Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Well, I guess I'll get it started.....

Re: Well, I guess I\'ll get it started.....

i DID NOT READ THE ARTICLE THAT YOU REFERRED TO , BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT LETTING AN LPN SIT FOR BOARDS TO BECOME AN RN IS LIKE, MANY YEARS AGO, PEOPLE BECOMING LPNS BY WAIVER.

IF A PERSON WANTS TO BECOME AN RN, THEN THEY MUST GO TO SCHOOL AND PUT IN THE TIME REQUIRED. yES, THERE ARE CLASSES THAT YOU CAN TEST OUT OF BUT THE NURSING COURSES ARE MANDATORY SO THAT THEORY BEHIND THE DEED BECOMES PART OF KNOWLEDGE. ANYONE CAN DO THE PHYSICAL PART OF NURSING BUT DO THEY UNDERSTAND THE REASONS FOR DOING IT.

Anonymous

Some still don't understand it after passing courses and sitting for the boards.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Are you saying that an LPN working on a busy Med/Surg unit for 15+ years knows less about nursing than a 20 year old just out of a nursing program???

Member Extraordinaire

ANYONE CAN DO THE PHYSICAL PART OF NURSING BUT DO THEY UNDERSTAND THE REASONS FOR DOING IT.

well that's not quite right either. I know both RN's and LPNs that can't do some of those techincal things and some are much better at them then others. There are those bridge programs for LPNs but I believe all the LPNs I work with do understand the reason they do what we do but maybe it's all that experience.

Re: But of course I am a RN with and Associates Degree and you know that the RN's with the higher degrees BS, etc, don't really think we are full blown nurses either.

I am a nurse educator. Went to school a thousand years ago - got out - hated nursing - "Them that can - DO - and them that can't - TEACH!!!" LOL But that is neither here nor there... As a retired educator - so now I can really speak my mind - I can tell you exactly WHO is the BEST nurse. The absoLUTE BEST is an LPN who has gone back to get an A.D. Next are the LPNs and A.D.s. After more than 20 years as an educator, I can tell you that my greatest fear is of being alone and unconscious in a room with a 4-year BSN and that's the only school he or she has ever been to. ...and it isn't their fault. Their curriculum is weak and they are taught that "arrogance" while they are in school. Needless to say, curriculum reform is one of my BIG issues!!! I would LOVE to see physical education (in the BSN program) replaced with a couple of more clinicals... doncha think???

Member Extraordinaire

I'm a RN with a ADN and BSN and I don't think ADN nurses aren't as you say "full blown" nurses. But you are right about the physical education thing. I had my ADN and worked full time (taking care of kids and family too) while getting the BSN and my bowling and sailing classes were pretty useless...I'd been bowling (hey I was in GAA in school and bowling leagues in grade school and know how to keep score no automatic things for me) and sailing is something I will probably never do again. I live on the river in ski boat country. The sailing class didn't even have a test just had to take a weekend on the lake and steer the boat 30 minutes and the rest of the time lay out and get a tan while everyone else took their turn. Besides those classes the humanities were not of a lot of use to me because I'd already studied ancient tradition, read the Iliad (Had a tough highschool) it was interesting but unless I go on Jeopardy not going to help me in nursing.
    My BSN clinicals weren't real learning experiences either.
    Around here most older students that go to the BSN school opt out and take boards after 2 years then continue for the BSN. I went to a totally different ADN program and transfered for the last 2 years.

Anonymous

But hey Cass we're "well rounded " some of us more than others and in more ways than one..LOLL I told my Introduction to Professional Practice Prof that.... she wasn't happy..LOLL I actually wrote a scholarily(sp) paper on that. APA format and all. TO BSN OR NOT TO BSN. Got an A.. I follow directions well.....LOLLLLL

Loved my Art Class. 14 sessions.. One snow day. 13 sessions. Sign in every time watch a slide show. 5 times to the Art Museum don't have to attend. Final on the board get the answers from someone else.. Learn a number for the matching. 1 800 I don't know a damn thing about art..

Oh yes I do.. Pablo somebody was a cubist... Don't ask me what a cubist is......LOLLLLL

But in all fairness some of the ADN students locally took ceramics.. She owns a ceramic shop now.. Better hours more money I bet.....

OK I'm down.....

WR,,, three commas for Beeca

Member Extraordinaire

cubist...aren't they from cuba like castro???

now I might like ceramics I need more knick knacks. I have taken sewing and quilting classes but I like that stuff and just added to what I already knew how to do.

Funny thing is I thought I was pretty well rounded before college...poor me had school teacher parents that took summer school every summer. We live in Indiana and dad would have class in Washington state and we'd get there by way of Texas and home through Montana and the badlands. (this was every summer, spring break etc) we stopped at every museum and my mother read us everything at every museum. It was like Chevy Chase family vacation but no dead aunt tied to the top of the car.
    There is something to say about good primary and highschool education probably why I never had to study much in college. I want to play who wants to be a millionaire or jeopardy just no opera didn't take that class

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234