Thread: Can u become an RN by going to school nights only?

Can u become an RN by going to school nights only?

Help! I want so badly to become an RN but have no idea where to start. I am a single parent of a teenage son for whom I have always tried to keep a 9 to 5 to be home with him after school and all...But how do I do this with this type of schedule?

I have been taking online and Saturday classes to get certificates/diplomas at my local Technical college for PCA, PCT, Med Receptionist, Med Billing&Coding, and Phlebotomy until I figure out what to do.

I know I did things backwards by getting married, having a child, getting divorced and now trying to go to school.Is my dream possible?

What did u do for money while attending school RN?
    Any thoughts, ideas, opinions will be considered and APPRECIATED. :confused:

Re: Can u become an RN by going to school nights only?

Good for you for wanting to better yourself! No sense looking back at things in the past-- get into nursing if that's what you love.
    I'm doing that right now. I'm attending Maria College in Albany NY and will get an associates RN. My classes are all at night, but I do have to schedule a clinical day per week. I'm doing a 3-11 on Mondays-- I'm self employed so I at least have schedule flexibility.
    Call around to local nursing schools and see if they have any night programs, or know of any. Community colleges sometimes have them.

You might be able to do medical billing right from your home. I think billers get paid according to how many bills they submit (but I may be wrong) so you could work around a nursing school schedule. Phlebotomy as a day job may pay well enough to support yourself and son. If he's old enough to work, he can supplement your income too. You might also qualify for some sort of public assistance. Some nursing schools have assistance available for qualified lower income students. Where there's a will, there's a way!!

Brenau U in GA Bachelor's attend nights wkends online

Thank you so much for the encouragement and info.

Last week I emailed several of the big University Nursing Dep'ts. in hopes of getting some info. they all advised me that I would basically need to quit my job and go to school 8-4pm Mon thru Thurs or Fri and if I couldn't do that I should consider going for and Associates degree of nursing thru a junior or technical college (which they don't know also require days only).

But a co-worker overheard me complaining of my dilemma and suggested a school I had never heard of and upon doing some research I found out they have a part-time Bachelors degree in nursing. Their program allows fulltime day workers to attend their school nights, weekends and online.

So if you know of anyone in or around Atlanta, GA in need of the same convenience the school is Brenau University www.brenau.edu

i dont know about Rns but i am a newbie at the early stages of becomming a En at tafe and i do it 2 nights a week its gonna take me 2 years to complete but thats ok why dont you call your local uni and ask?

There's a great site out there about distance or online learning for nursing...I'm not taking an online course, but it may work for others...here it is, http://www.nursingprograms.com/onlin...ing-for-nurses