Thread: Need to interview a nurse!

Need to interview a nurse!

I'm taking a nursing course at my college and need to get an interview with a nurse(s). I don't know any personally, so I thought I would stop by here and see if anyone is interested. The questions are very general, giving the interviewee room to expand or go into any detail (or not), with their responses. I would like it to be fun! Here are the exact directions given:

• Interview a graduate of each type of nursing program leading to initial licensure as an LPN or RN. Describe their memories of the experience, job history since graduating and their perspectives about nursing education as it currently exists. Ask for suggestions that would enhance success in nursing school. Share what you have learned with the class.

As you can see, pretty general! If would like to give a little input that you wouldn't mind me sharing with my class please email me at brittanyrawr@aol.com with your replies to the above questions. Feel free to share any specific experiences you've had, I would love love to hear all about it! Also, including a picture of yourself at work (or any) would be great! I mean, I can always find a clipart picture of a nurse.. but putting a face to the person I'm interviewing would be nice!

thanks! brittanyrawr@aol.com

Re: Need to interview a nurse!

bump? cmon guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BrittanyCvngh View Post

• Interview a graduate of each type of nursing program leading to initial licensure as an LPN or RN. Describe their memories of the experience, job history since graduating and their perspectives about nursing education as it currently exists. Ask for suggestions that would enhance success in nursing school. Share what you have learned with the class.
    I became an LPN first. I got my diploma from a 12 month vocational program. I had two small children so time management was imperative. It was very difficult at first, and I had to develop a routine. I would go to bed about 8pm when the children did, then I would get up about 2am and study until it was time to go to school. My class started out with 35 students and 11 of us finished, so many of the girls were very emotional at graduation because we had all gone through a lot. A short time after graduating I took a job as a medication nurse at a nursing home, putting off the hospital because the nursing home pay was so much better. Looking back, I believe the hospital experience would have been better than the money, especially since I wanted to go on to become an RN.

Between having more children and working at the nursing home I whittled away at pre-requisites for nursing school and enrolled in Excelsior College's associate degree RN program. About this time I discovered that private duty nursing would allow me ample time to work on my studies and I took advantage of the situation (in a good way.) I feel like the clinical at the end of the program took 10 years off my life (yes, it was THAT stressful!) but I still remember the day when I passed as if it were yesterday.

I became an RN and left private duty to work in home health. I thought I would love the autonomy I would have as a visiting nurse. Turns out, having to go in so many different patient's houses and deal with some who were less than appreciative stressed me out almost to the point of a breakdown. I hated every minute of that job and left after 8 months.

I went back to the nursing home and enrolled in the RN to BSN program at the local university. Two semesters later I graduated with a BSN. I do believe my job prospects are better with a BSN, though the market is still tight. I have just been offered a hospital position on a medical surgical floor, even though the hospital has a contract with the community college next door. In the sea of associate degree nurses my BSN stood out.

I'm now enrolled in graduate courses to become a nurse practitioner. At the risk of being hypocritical, I believe schools are churning out nurses much faster than they should, especially seeing how dry the job market is for many new graduates. There is no nursing shortage at all, and now some of these schools are pumping out two classes a year. The size of the graduating classes are much bigger now than they used to be, making it seem like standards must have been lowered and they are upping the number of students because it means more money. I think standards should be raised and nursing programs should be limited, this obviously would make nurses more in demand and marketable. The way it is now, hospitals can be choosy-they call the shots and pick and choose because there are way more applicants than there are positions.
    RN, BSN, ANP student

Oh yea, suggestions for doing well in nursing school:

1. Your attitude is everything. Nothing will turn off your instrcutors more than an argumentive know-it-all. Even if you see a mistake your teacher has made, no one is going to think highly of you for bringing it to his/her attention in the middle of the class. It will only make you seem like a jerk. Either realize it was a simple mistake (that you all will make, I don't care who you are) or if it is more serious leave an anonymous note.

2. When you go to clinicals and observe the nurses, don't be so quick to pick apart things they do that may not match up with your textbook. After working as a nurse, you will realize how naieve you were. It's an unspoken fact that you will have to do some mighty strange things to get by in your job as a nurse.

3. Again, an eager and appreciative attitude will get your further than being a KIA.

4. When you feel overwhelmed, KEEP GOING! I can't stress this enough: 30 minutes of alone time will do miracles. Don't take your textbook to the potty with you, you need to take a break once in a while.

5. Keep the bigger picture in mind. Think of how your life can only be BETTER by finishing what your started. You don't want to be burdened with regrets 10 years down the road because you didn't finish school.
    I work with an LPN who can't walk by me without saying, "I would have only had a few more semesters left to be an RN." She doesn't have it in her anymore to finish and she regrets it. I'm just a reminder of what she could have been doing (a desk job) if she had finished her RN instead of hobbling down the hall on bad feet. It's a shame.
    RN, BSN, ANP student

Thank you very much for the info!
    I was getting a little nervous, thought I'd have to wait outside the hospital downtown and wait for a nurse to leave and then bombard her with questions! haha. This is all very helpful, awesome!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Like Jo said....things don't always match up with the textbook. 'ABC' may work very well in most cases, but sometimes 'ZYX' will work in others. Teachers want you to learn what is the 'norm', and know that things don't always work out the way things should.

What works for you may not work for me. You WILL get into your own routine, and that will change.