Thread: A few quick questions...

A few quick questions...

Hey all, ICU nurse considering some travel nursing in May/June of 2010.

1.) When should I start talking to recruiters? One traveler I spoke with said a minimum of 3 months in advance, but he also stated 6 months is good so recruiters know to keep you in mind.

2.) One of the bigger attractions to me in regards to traveling is more control over my schedule. That's what I've been "told" by recruiters, but some travelers have told me this is simply not the case. Basically, will I be able to work Mon-Wed or will it be 3 days a week based on availability? I work and prefer nights, so I figure I've got that going for me.

3.) With so many companies out there, are there any top recommendations on companies to go with? I'm in the middle GA area (south of Atlanta).

Right now, I'm slowly reading up on information and making sure all my ducks are in order. Just renewed my ACLS. Like I said, no rush on my end. Just want to get the best deal(s).

Re: A few quick questions...

WElCOME
    You will not have that much control over your schedule. You will work every other weekend, holiday etc. You can ask the nurse manager to put you on 3 in a row, etc. or ask for a certain day off . Some of these recruiters just tell you anything to lure you in.
    Work with companies about 2 to 3 months ahead so you can get all the paperwork done. So keep coming to this site for all of your questions.
    Check the review section top of page and read about the companies and what nurses have posted. THis will help weed out the lousy companies.

Red face Re: A few quick questions...

From what I've read, many times you will get promises about a certain schedule but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, they change it up on you once you get to the job. I would lean toward expecting that going in.